Ubuntu logo

Developer Summit

< Wednesday >

14:00 - 14:55 UTC
After the announcement of the Ubuntu Touch Developer Preview, the convergence plans and the focus on mobile, we want the Ubuntu App Developer site to align to those goals and to focus on mobile content and the Ubuntu SDK

Participants:
attending andrew-hayzen (Andrew Hayzen)
attending calumpringle (Calum Pringle)
attending chihchun (Rex Tsai)
attending dpm (David Planella)
attending hugo-rune (Fabian Schmidt)
attending knitzsche (Kyle Nitzsche)
attending lool (Loïc Minier)
attending mpt (Matthew Paul Thomas)
attending paulliu (Ying-Chun Liu)
attending yaili (Inayaili de León)

Tracks:
  • App Development
App Developer 1 (IRC Logs) Go to Blueprint
We want to plan an Ubuntu SDK Week directly after UDS to get everybody on to using the new SDK.

Participants:
attending behmann (Brian Ehmann)
attending chihchun (Rex Tsai)
attending cmcannady (Casey Cannady)
attending codealot (Kennedy Kasina)
(required) dholbach (Daniel Holbach)
attending djfun (Martin Kaistra)
attending hikiko (Eleni Maria Stea)
attending kaijanmaki (Antti Kaijanmäki)
attending pete-woods (Pete Woods)
attending renatofilho (Renato Araujo Oliveira Filho)
attending robin-gloster (Robin Gloster)
attending stefan-schwarzburg (Schwarzburg)
attending tiagohillebrandt (Tiago Hillebrandt)
attending timo-jyrinki (Timo Jyrinki)
attending vibhavp (Vibhav Pant)
attending waver (Hassan El Jacifi)

Tracks:
  • App Development
App Developer 2 (IRC Logs) Go to Blueprint
Printing should not only work on desktop machines but also on mobile devices. We must especially have in mind that with mobile devices getting more popular for many people the mobile device is their only computing device and also that under iOS you can print from practically any application. Mobile devices have significantly reduced resources. They do not have the space to hold a large printing stack, especially not for hundreds of megabytes of printer-model-specific drivers and PPD files. So we need to concentrate on the most important bits, ideally wit a stack not using model-specific drivers nor a printer setup tool, like AirPrint on iOS. It simply auto-discovers compatible network printers via Bonjour and users can print on them. Inspired by this I am working on splitting the printing stack to allow installation of three different levels: Level 1: Only CUPS daemon and cups-browsed, no filters, no web interface, no printer setup tool, prints only on remote CUPS queues (1MB); Level 2: Level 1 plus filters to print on IPP Everywhere (CUPS Raster), PDF, PostScript, and PCL printers, discover supported network printers automatically and just print on them (some two-digit amount of MB); Level 3: The full printing stack which we always shipped for the desktop (200-300 MB). In addition, we will add functionality to cups-browsed to auto-discover IPP network printers with known page description languages (IPP Everywhere/CUPS Raster, PDF, PostScript, PCL) via Bonjour, request the printer´s capabilities from the printer via IPP, generate an appropriate PPD file and create a local CUPS queue, fully automatically, without the user needing to do anything with interactive software like a printer setup tool. This all looks like AirPrint on iOS but does not use the proprietary URF data format of AirPrint. The concept is similar: Printers get auto-discovered on the fly and appear in the print dialog and users can just print on them.

Participants:
attending amigadave (David King)
attending jasoncwarner (Jason Warner)
attending lool (Loïc Minier)
attending naroagonz (Naroa Gonzalez)
attending pitti (Martin Pitt)
attending seb128 (Sebastien Bacher)
attending till-kamppeter (Till Kamppeter)

Tracks:
  • Client
Client 2 (IRC Logs) Go to Blueprint
Lets plan how we are going to do operator recruitment with the new cadence Lets talk about disaster recovery for ubottu.com and the bots

Participants:
attending alanbell (Alan Bell)
attending ayrton (Ayrton Araújo)
attending hikiko (Eleni Maria Stea)
attending idleone (IdleOne)

Tracks:
  • Community
Community 1 (IRC Logs) Go to Blueprint
More and more users are willing and able to run what was historical the "development" release. The potential quality members has increased with the changes. Let's talk about how to reach these potential members as well as encourage, retain, and grow our current community

Participants:
attending a-emma (Emma Marshall)
attending chilicuil (Javier P.L.)
attending cjohnston (Chris Johnston)
attending cm-t (cm-t arudy)
attending gema (Gema Gomez)
attending hikiko (Eleni Maria Stea)
attending iahmad (I Ahmad)
attending itnet7 (Chris Crisafulli)
attending jibel (Jean-Baptiste Lallement)
attending mainerror (Octavian Damiean)
attending marten-de-vries (Marten de Vries)
attending nathan1465-5 (Nathan Heafner)
attending nskaggs (Nicholas Skaggs)
attending philipballew (philipballew)
attending sergiomeneses (Sergio Meneses)
attending thomir (Thomi Richards)
attending txwikinger (Ralph Janke)

Tracks:
  • Community
Community 2 (IRC Logs) Go to Blueprint
To build consistent phablet images which consist of two layers (android and ubuntu rootfs) it is essential that we can build both parts at the same time (featuresets and bugfixes can span across both layers). As of today cdimage will be easily able to roll the ubuntu rootfs while the android bits can not be triggered by cdimage yet. One proper solution would be to use the i386 livefs builder for cross building android img files that can be published alongside with the rootfs builds.

Participants:
attending adam-stokes (Adam Stokes)
attending apw (Andy Whitcroft)
attending barry (Barry Warsaw)
attending cjohnston (Chris Johnston)
(required) cjwatson (Colin Watson)
attending doanac (Andy Doan)
attending einonm (Mark Einon)
attending hikiko (Eleni Maria Stea)
attending javier.collado (Javier Collado)
attending joetalbott (Joe Talbott)
(required) lool (Loïc Minier)
attending nuclearbob (Max Brustkern)
(required) ogra (Oliver Grawert)
(required) rsalveti (Ricardo Salveti)
(required) stgraber (Stéphane Graber)
attending themuso (Luke Yelavich)
attending townsend (Christopher Townsend)
attending ursinha (Ursula Junque)
attending vorlon (Steve Langasek)
(required) xnox (Dimitri John Ledkov)

Tracks:
  • Foundations
Foundations 1 (IRC Logs) Go to Blueprint
Not Attending Fast Path Install Review ( Cloud & Server )
Review work items pending in the raring cycle, and discuss appropriate path forward. Goal: Provide a minimal "cloud-image" like installation for MAAS that installs nodes faster than the debian installer.

Participants:
attending andreserl (Andres Rodriguez)
attending davewalker (Dave Walker)
attending david-duffey (David Duffey)
attending hlh (Henry Hall)
attending jrp (Joshua R. Poulson)
attending lynxman (Marc Cluet)
attending med (David Medberry)
attending mreed8855 (Michael Reed)
attending negronjl (Juan L. Negron)
attending ove-risberg (Ove Risberg)
attending vanhoof (Chris Van Hoof)
attending yolanda.robla (Yolanda Robla)

Tracks:
  • Cloud & Server
Server Cloud 1 (IRC Logs) Go to Blueprint
Review work items pending in the raring cycle, and discuss appropriate path forward. Discuss inclusion of Nginx, Node.js, and MongoDB in the Ubuntu Archive.

Participants:
attending ayrton (Ayrton Araújo)
attending bkbox (BK Box)
attending davewalker (Dave Walker)
attending drussell (Dave Russell)
attending dweaver (Darryl Weaver)
attending fehwalker (Bryan Fullerton)
(required) james-page (James Page)
attending mariusko (Marius B. Kotsbak)
(required) negronjl (Juan L. Negron)
(required) yolanda.robla (Yolanda Robla)

Tracks:
  • Cloud & Server
Server Cloud 2 (IRC Logs) Go to Blueprint
15:00 - 15:45 UTC
Not Attending Ubuntu Hundred Scopes ( App Development )
Plans and roadmap for the 100 scopes project

Participants:
attending ayrton (Ayrton Araújo)
attending chihchun (Rex Tsai)
attending cwayne18 (Chris Wayne)
(required) davidc3 (David Callé)
attending dpm (David Planella)
attending fginther (Francis Ginther)
attending hikiko (Eleni Maria Stea)
attending hugo-rune (Fabian Schmidt)
attending jdstrand (Jamie Strandboge)
attending kamalmostafa (Kamal Mostafa)
attending marten-de-vries (Marten de Vries)
attending mfisch (Matt Fischer)
attending mhall119 (Michael Hall)
attending mterry (Michael Terry)
attending nick-dedekind (Nick Dedekind)
attending randall (Randall Ross)
attending robru (Robert Bruce Park)
attending saviq (Michał Sawicz)
attending sil (Stuart Langridge)
attending stolowski (Pawel Stolowski)
attending vila (Vincent Ladeuil)

Tracks:
  • App Development
App Developer 1 (IRC Logs) Go to Blueprint
Not Attending Ubuntu SDK UI Toolkit ( App Development )
The upcoming work for the UI Toolkit

Participants:
attending andrew-hayzen (Andrew Hayzen)
attending behmann (Brian Ehmann)
attending calumpringle (Calum Pringle)
attending chihchun (Rex Tsai)
attending christina-li (Christina Li)
attending cmcannady (Casey Cannady)
attending codealot (Kennedy Kasina)
attending cprofitt (Charles Profitt)
attending gerboland (Gerry Boland)
attending hikiko (Eleni Maria Stea)
attending kaijanmaki (Antti Kaijanmäki)
attending ken-vandine (Ken VanDine)
attending knitzsche (Kyle Nitzsche)
attending matzipan (Zisu Andrei)
attending paulliu (Ying-Chun Liu)
attending renatofilho (Renato Araujo Oliveira Filho)
attending robru (Robert Bruce Park)
attending ssweeny (Scott Sweeny)
attending stefan-schwarzburg (Schwarzburg)
attending themuso (Luke Yelavich)
attending tiagohillebrandt (Tiago Hillebrandt)
attending uriboni (Ugo Riboni)
attending xnox (Dimitri John Ledkov)

Tracks:
  • App Development
App Developer 2 (IRC Logs) Go to Blueprint
The platform API currently lacks a well-defined app-model (what constitutes an application) and the definition of an app's lifecycle. Both parts need to be defined and implemented in the API to allow the overall system to be more clever in terms saving resources.

Participants:
attending aacid (Albert Astals Cid)
attending awe (Tony Espy)
attending barry (Barry Warsaw)
attending bfiller (Bill Filler)
attending dbarth (David Barth)
attending gerboland (Gerry Boland)
attending hikiko (Eleni Maria Stea)
attending javier.collado (Javier Collado)
attending kgunn72 (kevin gunn)
attending lool (Loïc Minier)
attending mfisch (Matt Fischer)
attending mfrey (Michael Frey)
attending pete-woods (Pete Woods)
attending ricmm (Ricardo Mendoza)
attending rsalveti (Ricardo Salveti)
attending seb128 (Sebastien Bacher)
attending ted (Ted Gould)
attending thomas-voss (Thomas Voß)
attending w-ondra (Ondrej Kubik)
attending xnox (Dimitri John Ledkov)

Tracks:
  • Client
Client 1 (IRC Logs) Go to Blueprint
WebKit is an important and useful platform for application developers to provide rich web content to their users. Because of the importance of web browser technologies and the popularity of WebKit, it receives a lot of security scrutiny and research, with typically 20 or more vulnerabilities found each month. In addition, because web technologies are constantly changing, WebKit must change at a fast pace to remain relevant. WebKit is also an important part of our Client strategy, with a new web browser beinging proposed, a reduced webapps runtime, some core phone applications and the Ubuntu SDK using it. We need to come up with a method to provide security updates for WebKit as used by the core applications and QML SDK such that users get timely security updates without breaking applications.

Participants:
attending abreu-alexandre (Alexandre Abreu)
attending cjohnston (Chris Johnston)
attending cmiller (Chad Miller)
attending jdstrand (Jamie Strandboge)
attending mardy (Alberto Mardegan)
attending mdeslaur (Marc Deslauriers)
attending mitya57 (Dmitry Shachnev)
attending naroagonz (Naroa Gonzalez)
attending robin-gloster (Robin Gloster)
attending rsalveti (Ricardo Salveti)
attending ssweeny (Scott Sweeny)
attending willcooke (Will Cooke)

Tracks:
  • Client
Client 2 (IRC Logs) Go to Blueprint
The development cycle has changed in many ways since precise. With the advent of a potential rolling release, it's time to talk about the how we can adapt to better contribute in the changing landscape.

Participants:
attending a-emma (Emma Marshall)
attending amigadave (David King)
attending arges (Chris J Arges)
attending barry (Barry Warsaw)
attending bryanquigley (Bryan Quigley)
attending chilicuil (Javier P.L.)
attending chiluk (Dave Chiluk)
attending cm-t (cm-t arudy)
attending cyberbill79 (Bill Bennert)
attending diwic (David Henningsson)
attending doanac (Andy Doan)
attending drussell (Dave Russell)
attending einonm (Mark Einon)
attending elopio (Leo Arias)
attending fetova (Federico Torres Vargas)
(required) gema (Gema Gomez)
attending iahmad (I Ahmad)
attending jaboing (Julien Funk)
attending jared-dominguez (Daniel Jared Dominguez)
attending jhodapp (Jim Hodapp)
attending jibel (Jean-Baptiste Lallement)
attending komputes (David Bensimon)
attending nathan1465-5 (Nathan Heafner)
(required) nskaggs (Nicholas Skaggs)
attending nuclearbob (Max Brustkern)
attending paul-mcspadden (Paul McSpadden)
attending pgraner (Pete Graner)
attending psivaa (Parameswaran Sivatharman)
attending roadmr (Daniel Manrique)
attending rsalveti (Ricardo Salveti)
attending sergiomeneses (Sergio Meneses)
attending simon-d-bull (Simon Bull)
attending skellat (Stephen Michael Kellat)
attending snwh (Sam Hewitt)
(required) stgraber (Stéphane Graber)
attending thomir (Thomi Richards)
attending townsend (Christopher Townsend)
attending txwikinger (Ralph Janke)
attending tyhicks (Tyler Hicks)
attending veebers (Christopher Lee)
attending vibhavp (Vibhav Pant)
attending zkrynicki (Zygmunt Krynicki)

Tracks:
  • Community
Community 1 (IRC Logs) Go to Blueprint
As a new flavor of Ubuntu family, UbuntuKylin is commencing with 13.04. This blueprint is to discuss how could we 1) ensure its quality, 2) build its community, 3) and design its future plan.

Participants:
attending adam8157 (Adam Lee)
(required) anthonywong (Anthony Wong)
(required) dayangkuncn (Yang Kun (YK))
attending ian.li (Ian Li)
attending jzheng (Joey Zheng)
(required) krafthefer (Kevin Krafthefer)
(required) yj-1325 (Jack Yu)
Community 2 (IRC Logs) Go to Blueprint
Not Attending Openstack Grizzly Review ( Cloud & Server )
Review work items pending in the raring cycle, and discuss appropriate path forward. Goal: Include the grizzly release in Ubuntu 13.04 and 12.04

Participants:
attending andreserl (Andres Rodriguez)
attending bkbox (BK Box)
attending davewalker (Dave Walker)
attending david-duffey (David Duffey)
attending drussell (Dave Russell)
attending dweaver (Darryl Weaver)
attending hlh (Henry Hall)
attending hopem (Edward Hope-Morley)
attending james-page (James Page)
attending jared-dominguez (Daniel Jared Dominguez)
attending jeffmarcom (Jeff Marcom)
attending jrp (Joshua R. Poulson)
attending lynxman (Marc Cluet)
attending med (David Medberry)
attending negronjl (Juan L. Negron)
attending ove-risberg (Ove Risberg)
attending ramon-linux-labs (Ramon Acedo)
attending waver (Hassan El Jacifi)
attending yolanda.robla (Yolanda Robla)

Tracks:
  • Cloud & Server
Server Cloud 1 (IRC Logs) Go to Blueprint
Not Attending Juju Application Stacks ( Cloud & Server )
All of the developer platform stacks people use like Rails, etc. This is about how we improve those.

Participants:
(required) a.rosales (Antonio Rosales)
attending ayrton (Ayrton Araújo)
attending bkbox (BK Box)
attending evilnick (Nick Veitch)
attending jjo (JuanJo Ciarlante)
(required) jorge (Jorge O. Castro)
attending mariusko (Marius B. Kotsbak)
(required) mattyw (Matthew Williams)
attending mew (Matthew Wedgwood)
attending mreed8855 (Michael Reed)
(required) negronjl (Juan L. Negron)
(required) sidnei (Sidnei da Silva)

Tracks:
  • Cloud & Server
Server Cloud 2 (IRC Logs) Go to Blueprint
16:00 - 16:55 UTC
Not Attending Twitter core app plans ( App Development )
Discuss the plans and work items for the Twitter app as part of the Core Apps project at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Touch/CoreApps

Participants:
attending ayrton (Ayrton Araújo)
attending ken-vandine (Ken VanDine)
attending mardy (Alberto Mardegan)
attending robru (Robert Bruce Park)
attending tiagohillebrandt (Tiago Hillebrandt)

Tracks:
  • App Development
App Developer 1 (IRC Logs) Go to Blueprint
For phones and tablets, it doesn't necessarily make sense to use apt to update the OS; a full-OS update may make more sense, for reasons including: - less bandwidth, CPU time used to swap in an image all at once vs. downloading packages one by one - more reliable rollback mechanism if current+prev OS images can be present side-by-side and switched between atomically Following the initial install, users should be able to do an update to a new Ubuntu image without having to either apply updates individually with apt, or re-flash the device while tethered to a PC. Define how this should be implemented.

Participants:
attending aacid (Albert Astals Cid)
attending andrew-hayzen (Andrew Hayzen)
attending awe (Tony Espy)
attending ayrton (Ayrton Araújo)
attending barry (Barry Warsaw)
attending bfiller (Bill Filler)
attending cjohnston (Chris Johnston)
attending cm-t (cm-t arudy)
attending dbarth (David Barth)
attending doanac (Andy Doan)
attending drussell (Dave Russell)
attending hikiko (Eleni Maria Stea)
attending iahmad (I Ahmad)
attending ian.li (Ian Li)
attending jasoncwarner (Jason Warner)
attending javier.collado (Javier Collado)
attending jdstrand (Jamie Strandboge)
attending joetalbott (Joe Talbott)
attending johnlea (John Lea)
attending kaijanmaki (Antti Kaijanmäki)
attending laney (Iain Lane)
attending lool (Loïc Minier)
attending marten-de-vries (Marten de Vries)
attending mfisch (Matt Fischer)
attending mfrey (Michael Frey)
attending nick-dedekind (Nick Dedekind)
attending nskaggs (Nicholas Skaggs)
attending nuclearbob (Max Brustkern)
attending ogra (Oliver Grawert)
attending ove-risberg (Ove Risberg)
attending pat-mcgowan (Pat McGowan)
attending paul-mcspadden (Paul McSpadden)
attending pete-woods (Pete Woods)
attending pgraner (Pete Graner)
attending psivaa (Parameswaran Sivatharman)
attending ricmm (Ricardo Mendoza)
attending robru (Robert Bruce Park)
attending rsalveti (Ricardo Salveti)
attending saviq (Michał Sawicz)
attending simon-d-bull (Simon Bull)
attending smagoun (Steve Magoun)
attending snwh (Sam Hewitt)
attending ssweeny (Scott Sweeny)
attending stefanor (Stefano Rivera)
attending stgraber (Stéphane Graber)
attending sverdy (Stéphane Verdy)
attending ted (Ted Gould)
attending themuso (Luke Yelavich)
attending tiagohillebrandt (Tiago Hillebrandt)
attending veebers (Christopher Lee)
attending vibhavp (Vibhav Pant)
attending vorlon (Steve Langasek)
attending w-ondra (Ondrej Kubik)
attending xnox (Dimitri John Ledkov)

Tracks:
  • Client
Client 1 (IRC Logs) Go to Blueprint
Ubuntu Touch, as any other smartphone and tablet OS, needs a location service. A location service is an abstraction layer on top of GPS and other things used to get a device's location. It's a deamon that fetches location from different providers (gps, cellular network, wifi) and gives the resulting location information to client applications. In the free software world there's a project that is close to what we need. It's called GeoClue and hosted on freedesktop. It's been dead (ie. no active development) for some years now. And its creator was expecting that either him or someone else would have come up with its next version (geoclue2) by now to fix its design and implementation issues (don't have a formal list, I'm just paraphrasing him here). I studied geoclue's code and android's location service to see where we would go, what we would need. geoclue is written in C/Object which is arguably harder to read and to maintain. It also has no tests. In my personal opinion it's a liability/handicap instead of an asset. Cheap to use at first (it's already there) but costly overtime (improving and maintaining). I started modifying its code to better fit our needs but ended up giving up and gone for a rewrite in Qt/C++, which is a language and toolkit I'm very comfortable/productive with and that I think it's way easier to maintain and faster to develop on (for anyone, not just me :) ). Yes I know about not reinventing the wheel and not-invented-here syndrome, but in this case I do think this is the best way to proceed as the existing whell is kinda squared and cumbersome to work with. And in the end it's a rewrite and not a reinvention as the D-Bus interfaces and concepts, i.e. high level architecture, which is the most difficult part to come up with (and the most damaging, when got wrong), is all being used in geoclue2 (although modified/improved). So my plan is to write geoclue2 in Qt/C++ and once it reaches its first release we would propose it to freedesktop's GeoClue to be its next version (I don't like to talk empty-handed and prefer to have something working in my hands when I do so). If they accept it, it's all good. If not, we will have to re-brand it as "Ubuntu Location Service". Why C++: - It's arguably easier to write object-oriented code in a language that supports this paradigm. Why Qt: - Ubuntu Touch already relies on Qt for its GUI, so it's a technology that is already there. - It's actively developed and is very well documented - Besides the regular toolkit features (containers, strings, timers, event loops, signal handdling) is also has an easy-to-use D-Bus wrapper and INI file parser (needed for describing installed providers). So it's a one-stop place for all we need. Of course that's not the *only* possible good option (e.g. there's C++/Boost, maybe Python) but we have to make a choice and I'm very familiar with those technologies. What we have ============ On the device we have ubuntu-gps-service, which is a daemon that has onwership over the GPS receiver and shares its readings with any number of client applications. There's also a plugin for Qt (ubuntu-qtlocation-plugin) that enables QML applications using Qt's Location API to get location info from that service. geoclue-ubuntu-gps - A modified version of ubuntu-gps-service that implements geoclue's D-Bus interfaces, so that it can be used by geoclue master provider (i.e. geoclue's location service). geoclue2-qt - It has all the basics in place, although I didn't do a live/real test with it yet (only unit tests and basic runs so far). It finds and loads location providers, selects the most appropriate one and gives location info to clients. Code is currently at lp:~dandrader/geoclue2/qt Current work ============ * Client library for geoclue2-qt. A C++/Qt library to ease development of geoclue2 location providers and client applications. Of course, if providers or client applications are written in a different language or use a different toolkit they will have to use D-Bus directly. Unless someone comes up with libraries like libgeoclue2-glib. * Modifying geoclue-ubuntu-gps to use geoclue2 interfaces, therefore turning it into geoclue2-ubuntu-gps. What's missing for a first release (besides current work) ========================================================= * Fine tuning its D-Bus interfaces. Taking in feedback from Loic Minier. * location service logic: Consider a provider's status when selecting which provider to use * packaging, testing it all on the phone.

Participants:
attending allanlesage (Allan LeSage)
(required) dandrader (Daniel d'Andrada)
attending kgunn72 (kevin gunn)
(required) knitzsche (Kyle Nitzsche)
(required) lool (Loïc Minier)
(required) rsalveti (Ricardo Salveti)
(required) ted (Ted Gould)
(required) thomas-voss (Thomas Voß)
(required) xnox (Dimitri John Ledkov)

Tracks:
  • Client
Client 2 (IRC Logs) Go to Blueprint
The goal is to discuss and plan short-term improvements in Ubuntu Friendly, aiming at providing faster/better feedback for testers, so people know their score right away and are able to correct any errors due to bad testing before submitting (or at least, having a tighter feedback look so they know they need to retest and resubmit), as well as improving usability and features of the UF site itself.

Participants:
attending apulido (Ara Pulido)
attending chilicuil (Javier P.L.)
attending cm-t (cm-t arudy)
attending cprofitt (Charles Profitt)
attending hikiko (Eleni Maria Stea)
attending jasnow (Al Snow)
attending komputes (David Bensimon)
attending mike-powerthroughwords (Mike Heald)
attending mpt (Matthew Paul Thomas)
attending nskaggs (Nicholas Skaggs)
attending randall (Randall Ross)
attending roadmr (Daniel Manrique)
attending schwuk (David Murphy)
attending sergiomeneses (Sergio Meneses)
attending sid51 (sid payton)
attending smagoun (Steve Magoun)
attending thomir (Thomi Richards)
attending zkrynicki (Zygmunt Krynicki)

Tracks:
  • Client
Community 1 (IRC Logs) Go to Blueprint
We have done a small-scale investigation at our university, and most students prefer to fcitx. Some reasons could be listed as following: 1. it is the first Chinese input method in open source community since 2002, and it has lots of fans in China, especially guys using Wubi method. 2. it provides more efficient and intelligent input experience than ibus. 3. it provides skin options and more convenient configuration tool. 4. it provides good support to cloud-pinyin. 5. Compatibility between Fcitx and Unity is improving gradually. E.g., the latest update of NUX makes it possible to input Chinese words in Dash. 6. Fans are working to make it better, such as GTK+ show, Indicator show, etc. We are investigating the influence and modification needed on input configuration, and we will update soon.

Participants:
attending acelankao (AceLan Kao)
(required) anthonywong (Anthony Wong)
(required) gunnarhj (Gunnar Hjalmarsson)
attending jzheng (Joey Zheng)
attending paulliu (Ying-Chun Liu)
attending xueshengyao (Shengyao Xue)
(required) yj-1325 (Jack Yu)
Community 2 (IRC Logs) Go to Blueprint
The purpose of this session is to discuss how the kernel team would handle a rolling kernel release should Ubuntu move to a rolling release model between LTS releases.

Participants:
attending adam-stokes (Adam Stokes)
attending aml240sx (Alejandro Morales Lepe)
attending apulido (Ara Pulido)
(required) apw (Andy Whitcroft)
attending arges (Chris J Arges)
attending barry (Barry Warsaw)
attending bkbox (BK Box)
(required) brad-figg (Brad Figg)
attending brendan-donegan (Brendan Donegan)
attending bryanquigley (Bryan Quigley)
attending bryce (Bryce Harrington)
attending chiluk (Dave Chiluk)
attending cyberbill79 (Bill Bennert)
attending dannf (dann frazier)
attending david-duffey (David Duffey)
attending diwic (David Henningsson)
attending drussell (Dave Russell)
attending einonm (Mark Einon)
attending fehwalker (Bryan Fullerton)
attending gema (Gema Gomez)
attending hikiko (Eleni Maria Stea)
attending hugo-rune (Fabian Schmidt)
attending jared-dominguez (Daniel Jared Dominguez)
attending jjohansen (John Johansen)
attending jsalisbury (Joseph Salisbury)
attending kamalmostafa (Kamal Mostafa)
attending kentb (Kent Baxley)
attending krafthefer (Kevin Krafthefer)
(required) leannogasawara (Leann Ogasawara)
attending mariusko (Marius B. Kotsbak)
attending marrusl (Mark Russell)
attending narindergupta (Narinder Gupta)
attending pitti (Martin Pitt)
attending psivaa (Parameswaran Sivatharman)
(required) pwlars (Paul Larson)
attending roadmr (Daniel Manrique)
attending rsalveti (Ricardo Salveti)
attending samantha-jian (Samantha Jian-Pielak)
attending sforshee (Seth Forshee)
attending smagoun (Steve Magoun)
attending stefan-bader-canonical (Stefan Bader)
attending themuso (Luke Yelavich)
(required) timg-tpi (Tim Gardner)
attending tyhicks (Tyler Hicks)
attending ursinha (Ursula Junque)
attending vanhoof (Chris Van Hoof)
attending xnox (Dimitri John Ledkov)
attending zequence (Kaj Ailomaa)

Tracks:
  • Foundations
Foundations 1 (IRC Logs) Go to Blueprint
Review work items pending in the raring cycle, and discuss appropriate path forward. Goal: Provide well formed data describing: * public cloud image id information * download information for cloud-images * download information for maas images * download information for boot and installer files This information will be signed and suitable for mirroring locally.

Participants:
attending davewalker (Dave Walker)
attending james-page (James Page)
attending jeffmarcom (Jeff Marcom)
attending jrp (Joshua R. Poulson)
attending lynxman (Marc Cluet)
attending med (David Medberry)
attending negronjl (Juan L. Negron)
attending utlemming (Ben Howard)
attending yolanda.robla (Yolanda Robla)

Tracks:
  • Cloud & Server
Server Cloud 1 (IRC Logs) Go to Blueprint
Rationale: A core essential piece of growing the Juju community is having engaging docs that allow different types of users to easily find the documentation they need. Furthermore, using the docs should be a positive experience that Juju users enjoy coming back to reference and learn. Goal: Update https://juju.ubuntu.com/docs/ to have dynamic (HTML5) content directly mapping to Juju user journeys.

Participants:
(required) a.rosales (Antonio Rosales)
(required) evilnick (Nick Veitch)
(required) jorge (Jorge O. Castro)
attending mattyw (Matthew Williams)
attending mew (Matthew Wedgwood)
attending mreed8855 (Michael Reed)
attending negronjl (Juan L. Negron)
attending ramon-linux-labs (Ramon Acedo)
attending waver (Hassan El Jacifi)

Tracks:
  • Cloud & Server
Server Cloud 2 (IRC Logs) Go to Blueprint
17:00 - 18:00 UTC [PLENARY]
5 minutes each or until you hear the Gong! First come first serve.

Participants:
attending aacid (Albert Astals Cid)
attending allanlesage (Allan LeSage)
attending ayrton (Ayrton Araújo)
attending cm-t (cm-t arudy)
attending david-duffey (David Duffey)
attending elopio (Leo Arias)
attending fehwalker (Bryan Fullerton)
attending hugo-rune (Fabian Schmidt)
attending jared-dominguez (Daniel Jared Dominguez)
attending javier.collado (Javier Collado)
attending jrp (Joshua R. Poulson)
attending kamalmostafa (Kamal Mostafa)
attending marten-de-vries (Marten de Vries)
attending mattyw (Matthew Williams)
attending med (David Medberry)
attending mew (Matthew Wedgwood)
attending mfisch (Matt Fischer)
attending mzanetti (Michael Zanetti)
attending nuclearbob (Max Brustkern)
attending paulliu (Ying-Chun Liu)
attending paul-mcspadden (Paul McSpadden)
attending pixelpapst (Philipp Kaluza)
attending randall (Randall Ross)
attending robru (Robert Bruce Park)
attending saviq (Michał Sawicz)
attending stolowski (Pawel Stolowski)
attending ted (Ted Gould)
attending themuso (Luke Yelavich)
attending tiagohillebrandt (Tiago Hillebrandt)
attending timo-jyrinki (Timo Jyrinki)
attending vanhoof (Chris Van Hoof)
Plenary (IRC Logs)
18:15 - 19:00 UTC
Plans for and initiatives for Ubuntu App Development Community growth

Participants:
attending a-emma (Emma Marshall)
attending ayrton (Ayrton Araújo)
attending bhavi (Bhavani Shankar)
attending calumpringle (Calum Pringle)
attending christina-li (Christina Li)
attending codealot (Kennedy Kasina)
attending dmj726 (dmj726)
attending dpm (David Planella)
attending hikiko (Eleni Maria Stea)
attending mika (Mika Meskanen)
attending philipballew (philipballew)
attending randall (Randall Ross)
attending robru (Robert Bruce Park)
attending rsalveti (Ricardo Salveti)
attending sil (Stuart Langridge)

Tracks:
  • App Development
App Developer 1 (IRC Logs) Go to Blueprint
Not Attending The telephony application ( App Development )
Work items for the telephony application

Participants:
attending bfiller (Bill Filler)
attending boiko (Gustavo Pichorim Boiko)
attending johnlea (John Lea)
attending komputes (David Bensimon)
attending mika (Mika Meskanen)
attending renatofilho (Renato Araujo Oliveira Filho)
attending rsalveti (Ricardo Salveti)
attending sfeole (Sean Feole)
attending simon-d-bull (Simon Bull)
attending themuso (Luke Yelavich)
attending tiagohillebrandt (Tiago Hillebrandt)
attending tiagosh (Tiago Salem Herrmann)
attending w-ondra (Ondrej Kubik)

Tracks:
  • App Development
App Developer 2 (IRC Logs) Go to Blueprint
The convergence of the Unity UI for all form factors: phone, PC, tablet, TV

Participants:
attending 3v1n0 (Marco Trevisan (Treviño))
attending aacid (Albert Astals Cid)
attending cgregan (Chris Gregan)
attending cimi (Andrea Cimitan)
attending cjohnston (Chris Johnston)
attending daker (Adnane Belmadiaf)
attending didrocks (Didier Roche)
attending fginther (Francis Ginther)
attending hikiko (Eleni Maria Stea)
attending hugo-rune (Fabian Schmidt)
attending javier.collado (Javier Collado)
attending jzheng (Joey Zheng)
attending kaijanmaki (Antti Kaijanmäki)
attending katie-t (Katie Taylor)
attending ken-vandine (Ken VanDine)
attending kgunn72 (kevin gunn)
attending macslow (Mirco Müller)
attending mitya57 (Dmitry Shachnev)
attending mzanetti (Michael Zanetti)
attending nealmcb (Neal McBurnett)
attending nick-dedekind (Nick Dedekind)
attending ove-risberg (Ove Risberg)
attending ricmm (Ricardo Mendoza)
attending robert-ancell (Robert Ancell)
attending rsalveti (Ricardo Salveti)
attending saviq (Michał Sawicz)
attending snwh (Sam Hewitt)
attending themuso (Luke Yelavich)
attending thomas-voss (Thomas Voß)
attending thomir (Thomi Richards)
attending veebers (Christopher Lee)
attending wgrant (William Grant)

Tracks:
  • Client
Client 1 (IRC Logs) Go to Blueprint
Discuss requirements of converged network stack for Ubuntu Touch and Desktop; mobile data support etc.

Participants:
attending allanlesage (Allan LeSage)
attending apulido (Ara Pulido)
attending awe (Tony Espy)
attending chiluk (Dave Chiluk)
attending cjohnston (Chris Johnston)
attending doanac (Andy Doan)
attending gema (Gema Gomez)
attending geofft (Geoffrey Thomas)
attending jared-dominguez (Daniel Jared Dominguez)
attending jdstrand (Jamie Strandboge)
attending joetalbott (Joe Talbott)
attending lool (Loïc Minier)
attending mathieu-tl (Mathieu Trudel-Lapierre)
attending mdeslaur (Marc Deslauriers)
attending mpt (Matthew Paul Thomas)
attending roadmr (Daniel Manrique)
attending rsalveti (Ricardo Salveti)
attending seb128 (Sebastien Bacher)
attending sforshee (Seth Forshee)
attending smagoun (Steve Magoun)
attending stefanor (Stefano Rivera)
attending stgraber (Stéphane Graber)
attending ted (Ted Gould)
attending zkrynicki (Zygmunt Krynicki)

Tracks:
  • Client
Client 2 (IRC Logs) Go to Blueprint
In light of the rolling release proposal it is necessary to discuss general contingencies for Xubuntu. How shall the flavor continue in the proposed new era? What systemic changes will be required for Xubuntu to thrive? What new release cycle will have to be adopted and how will this be communicated? Other contingencies must also be addressed.

Participants:
attending cyberbill79 (Bill Bennert)
attending elderdryas (Dave Cantrell)
attending jr (Jonathan Riddell)
(required) skellat (Stephen Michael Kellat)
(required) valorie-zimmerman (Valorie Zimmerman)

Tracks:
  • Community
Community 1 (IRC Logs) Go to Blueprint
For discussion of Ubuntu's GSoC involvement

Participants:
(required) bkerensa (Benjamin Kerensa)
attending cm-t (cm-t arudy)
(required) dylanmccall (Dylan McCall)
attending jasnow (Al Snow)
attending jff-jff-webhosting (Jörg Frings-Fürst)
(required) lfaraone (Luke Faraone)
attending matzipan (Zisu Andrei)
attending paul-mcspadden (Paul McSpadden)
(required) philipballew (philipballew)

Tracks:
  • Community
Community 2 (IRC Logs) Go to Blueprint
Not Attending MAAS Review ( Cloud & Server )
Review work items pending in the raring cycle, and discuss appropriate path forward. Goals: * New features for MAAS this cycle. * Bug fixing.

Participants:
attending andreserl (Andres Rodriguez)
attending davewalker (Dave Walker)
attending david-duffey (David Duffey)
attending dweaver (Darryl Weaver)
attending evilnick (Nick Veitch)
attending james-page (James Page)
attending jjo (JuanJo Ciarlante)
attending jrp (Joshua R. Poulson)
attending krafthefer (Kevin Krafthefer)
attending lynxman (Marc Cluet)
attending mew (Matthew Wedgwood)
attending mreed8855 (Michael Reed)
attending negronjl (Juan L. Negron)
attending nuclearbob (Max Brustkern)
attending ramon-linux-labs (Ramon Acedo)
attending vanhoof (Chris Van Hoof)
attending waver (Hassan El Jacifi)

Tracks:
  • Cloud & Server
Server Cloud 1 (IRC Logs) Go to Blueprint
19:05 - 20:00 UTC
Ubuntu currently uses ConsoleKit for tracking logged-in users. However, ConsoleKit is no longer maintained. Since logind is now packaged in the archive and can run standalone, now is a good time to investigate how we might migrate to it. = References = * http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/ConsoleKit * http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/logind * https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/foundations-r-session-management

Participants:
attending adam-stokes (Adam Stokes)
attending amigadave (David King)
attending barry (Barry Warsaw)
attending chiluk (Dave Chiluk)
attending cjohnston (Chris Johnston)
attending fehwalker (Bryan Fullerton)
attending geofft (Geoffrey Thomas)
attending hikiko (Eleni Maria Stea)
(required) jamesodhunt (James Hunt)
attending jared-dominguez (Daniel Jared Dominguez)
attending laney (Iain Lane)
attending lool (Loïc Minier)
(required) pitti (Martin Pitt)
attending pixelpapst (Philipp Kaluza)
(required) robert-ancell (Robert Ancell)
attending rsalveti (Ricardo Salveti)
(required) seb128 (Sebastien Bacher)
attending ssweeny (Scott Sweeny)
(required) stgraber (Stéphane Graber)
(required) themuso (Luke Yelavich)
(required) vorlon (Steve Langasek)
(required) xnox (Dimitri John Ledkov)

Tracks:
  • Foundations
Client 1 (IRC Logs) Go to Blueprint
What we need in autopilot (and all the flavors such as qt/gtk) to support testing on the mobile/convergent platforms.

Participants:
attending aacid (Albert Astals Cid)
attending allanlesage (Allan LeSage)
attending carla-sella (Carla Sella)
attending cgregan (Chris Gregan)
attending cjohnston (Chris Johnston)
attending cmcannady (Casey Cannady)
attending cwayne18 (Chris Wayne)
attending doanac (Andy Doan)
attending elopio (Leo Arias)
attending fginther (Francis Ginther)
attending hikiko (Eleni Maria Stea)
attending iahmad (I Ahmad)
attending jaboing (Julien Funk)
attending javier.collado (Javier Collado)
attending jibel (Jean-Baptiste Lallement)
attending joetalbott (Joe Talbott)
attending macslow (Mirco Müller)
(required) mzanetti (Michael Zanetti)
attending nick-dedekind (Nick Dedekind)
(required) nskaggs (Nicholas Skaggs)
attending nuclearbob (Max Brustkern)
attending robru (Robert Bruce Park)
attending saviq (Michał Sawicz)
attending sfeole (Sean Feole)
(required) thomir (Thomi Richards)
attending veebers (Christopher Lee)
attending vila (Vincent Ladeuil)
attending xnox (Dimitri John Ledkov)

Tracks:
  • Client
Client 2 (IRC Logs) Go to Blueprint
We started work on http://www.ubuntu.com/community already. https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CommunityWebsite lists the current stand of things. Let's make the site beautiful together.

Participants:
attending ayrton (Ayrton Araújo)
attending dholbach (Daniel Holbach)
attending hikiko (Eleni Maria Stea)
attending mainerror (Octavian Damiean)
attending philipballew (philipballew)
attending randall (Randall Ross)
attending yoboy-leguesh (YoBoY)

Tracks:
  • Community
Community 1 (IRC Logs) Go to Blueprint
Not Attending Community Q&A ( Community )
Ask Ubuntu Community Manager Jono Bacon anything!

Participants:
attending a-emma (Emma Marshall)
attending airurando (Mike O'Donohue)
attending aml240sx (Alejandro Morales Lepe)
attending andrew-hayzen (Andrew Hayzen)
attending cm-t (cm-t arudy)
attending czajkowski (Laura Czajkowski)
attending jonobacon (Jono Bacon)
attending marten-de-vries (Marten de Vries)
attending matzipan (Zisu Andrei)
attending mew (Matthew Wedgwood)
attending ove-risberg (Ove Risberg)
attending paul-mcspadden (Paul McSpadden)
attending simon-d-bull (Simon Bull)
attending skellat (Stephen Michael Kellat)
attending tiagohillebrandt (Tiago Hillebrandt)

Tracks:
  • Community
Community 2 (IRC Logs)
The goal of this session is to discuss the ongoing phablet kernel maintenance and support process. We would like to elaborate on decisions currently being made as well as discuss any additional opens.

Participants:
attending acelankao (AceLan Kao)
(required) apw (Andy Whitcroft)
attending arges (Chris J Arges)
(required) awe (Tony Espy)
attending barry (Barry Warsaw)
(required) brad-figg (Brad Figg)
attending hikiko (Eleni Maria Stea)
attending joetalbott (Joe Talbott)
attending jsalisbury (Joseph Salisbury)
attending kaijanmaki (Antti Kaijanmäki)
attending kamalmostafa (Kamal Mostafa)
(required) leannogasawara (Leann Ogasawara)
attending mfrey (Michael Frey)
attending psivaa (Parameswaran Sivatharman)
(required) rsalveti (Ricardo Salveti)
attending sforshee (Seth Forshee)
attending stefan-bader-canonical (Stefan Bader)
(required) timg-tpi (Tim Gardner)
attending xnox (Dimitri John Ledkov)

Tracks:
  • Foundations
Foundations 1 (IRC Logs) Go to Blueprint
Review work items pending in the raring cycle, and discuss appropriate path forward. Goal: Ensure all core OpenStack components are covered by the current set of Juju charms, as well as any other features or components that make up the reference architecture we aim to test and provide.

Participants:
attending andreserl (Andres Rodriguez)
attending ayrton (Ayrton Araújo)
attending davewalker (Dave Walker)
attending david-duffey (David Duffey)
attending dweaver (Darryl Weaver)
attending james-page (James Page)
attending jeffmarcom (Jeff Marcom)
attending jjo (JuanJo Ciarlante)
attending jrp (Joshua R. Poulson)
attending lynxman (Marc Cluet)
attending mreed8855 (Michael Reed)
attending nealmcb (Neal McBurnett)
attending negronjl (Juan L. Negron)
attending ramon-linux-labs (Ramon Acedo)
attending waver (Hassan El Jacifi)
attending yolanda.robla (Yolanda Robla)

Tracks:
  • Cloud & Server
Server Cloud 1 (IRC Logs) Go to Blueprint
< Wednesday >