Ubuntu logo

Developer Summit

Bonaire 1

Monday, 10:00 - 10:45 EDT
Not Attending ITSM for Orchestra ( Server and Cloud )
ITSM stands for IT service management. ITSM is a discipline for managing information technology (IT) systems, philosophically centered on the customer's perspective of IT's contribution to the business. ITSM stands in deliberate contrast to technology-centered approaches to IT management and business interaction. In order to differentiate ourselves from other orchestration products we should offer at least an Inventory Management system (ocsinventory) and a Request Tracker (rt).

Participants:
attending ameetp (Ameet Paranjape)
attending andreserl (Andres Rodriguez)
attending aquette (Arnaud Quette)
attending davewalker (Dave Walker)
attending davidpbritton (David Britton)
attending dhenrich (Dean Henrichsmeyer)
attending ivoks (Ante Karamatić)
attending james-page (James Page)
attending justin-l-werner (Justin L Werner)
attending kiranmurari (Kiran Murari)
attending kirkland (Dustin Kirkland )
attending lynxman (Marc Cluet)
attending mahmoh (M.Morana)
attending marrusl (Mark Russell)
attending med (David Medberry)
attending mordred (Monty Taylor)
attending murthyraju-manthena (Murthy Raju)
attending negronjl (Juan L. Negron)
attending serge-hallyn (Serge Hallyn)
attending tellis (Tom Ellis)
attending zhengpeng-hou (ZhengPeng Hou)
attending zulcss (Chuck Short)

Tracks:
  • Server and Cloud
Bonaire 1 (Audio Feed) Go to Blueprint
Monday, 11:00 - 11:55 EDT
Not Attending State of Ubuntu Automated QA ( Other )
Overview of Ubuntu Automated QA and high level plans going forward.

Tracks:
  • Other
Bonaire 1 (Audio Feed)
Monday, 12:00 - 13:00 EDT
Not Attending Improving automated certification testing of Kernel SRUs ( Hardware )
The Hardware Certification team routinely performs certification testing of Kernel SRUs for recent releases. The objective is to run a small test suite on every system that has been certified with stock Ubuntu and ensure no regressions have occurred. This compliments the testing done by QA through the sheer range of hardware components and drivers exercised in the testing. The goal is to protect the Ubuntu user with a certified system from suddenly finding that something important doesn't work. Currently the test suite consists of just over 20 tests as defined at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/kernel-sru-workflow/CertificationTestSuite. These tests are unlikely to fail unless there has been a major regression and due to the automated nature of the testing (which is essential due to the volume of systems which need to be covered in a short period of time) there are no manual tests. So far this has meant that even though there have been regressions encountered in SRU updates, the certification testing process has not picked them up. Some have been bugs that could only be discovered through manual testing and some have been fairly obscure corner cases that the test suite simply didn't address. The goal of this blueprint is to significantly increase the coverage of the SRU test suite within a few limits, the first being that all tests must be automated and the second being that there needs to be a sensible limit on the execution time of the test suite (to be discussed, but a guideline would be 30 minutes to 1 hour) so that SRUs can still be released in a timely manner. Each test should have as high a value as possible, so must focus on the most important hardware functionality first. Wireless testing is non-existent and testing of graphics and audio is not as good as it should be for such important pieces of functionality, so we intend to increase coverage in these areas at least. When considering new tests to add we will be looking to keep the SRU test suite synchronized with the test suite used to certify systems. This means that in the first instance new SRU tests should be sourced from the certification test suite and if a suitable test is not found then any new test created should also be included in the certification test suite. Initial thoughts on what needs to be tested are here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1fHfOnnnVCXsSayz3XlaL9hgrl-uTBXHx7Ijbkc6aKTo/edit?hl=en_US == Agenda == * Introduction and overview * Wireless testing * Video testing * Audio testing * Q&A/Comments

Participants:
attending apulido (Ara Pulido)
attending bladernr (Jeff Lane)
attending brad-figg (Brad Figg)
attending brendan-donegan (Brendan Donegan)
attending colin-king (Colin King)
attending cr3 (Marc Tardif)
attending ctf (Tim Chen)
attending diwic (David Henningsson)
attending gema (Gema Gomez)
attending herton (Herton R. Krzesinski)
attending hggdh2 (C de-Avillez)
attending javier.collado (Javier Collado)
attending jdstrand (Jamie Strandboge)
attending jk-ozlabs (Jeremy Kerr)
attending mathieu-tl (Mathieu Trudel-Lapierre)
attending mdeslaur (Marc Deslauriers)
attending nuclearbob (Max Brustkern)
attending roadmr (Daniel Manrique)
attending sconklin (Steve Conklin)
attending sforshee (Seth Forshee)
attending timg-tpi (Tim Gardner)

Tracks:
  • Hardware
Bonaire 1 (Audio Feed) Go to Blueprint
Tuesday, 09:00 - 09:55 EDT
Not Attending Shrink the image build pipeline ( Foundations )
When preparing milestone releases, we often need to turn around fixes quickly. The pipeline from a developer source upload to a full set of updated image builds on all architectures is currently somewhere in the region of nine hours. We would like to make this much quicker.

Participants:
attending adconrad (Adam Conrad)
attending charlie-tca (Charlie Kravetz)
attending cjwatson (Colin Watson)
attending cody-somerville (Cody A.W. Somerville)
attending davewalker (Dave Walker)
attending flacoste (Francis J. Lacoste)
attending gilir (Julien Lavergne)
attending hggdh2 (C de-Avillez)
attending jibel (Jean-Baptiste Lallement)
attending julian-edwards (Julian Edwards)
attending kate.stewart (Kate Stewart)
attending lamont (LaMont Jones)
attending micahg (Micah Gersten)
attending rick-rickspencer3 (Rick Spencer)
attending rsalveti (Ricardo Salveti)
attending smagoun (Steve Magoun)
attending stgraber (Stéphane Graber)
attending themuso (Luke Yelavich)
attending timrchavez (Timothy R. Chavez)

Tracks:
  • Foundations
Bonaire 1 (Audio Feed) Go to Blueprint
Tuesday, 10:00 - 10:45 EDT
Not Attending Priorities for development release maintenance ( Other )
The Ubuntu Engineering team in Canonical is committing a rotation of developers to work solely on development release maintenance for a month or two at a time, with the goal of keeping the development release buildable, installable, and upgradeable at all times in order to allow other developers to work with fewer interruptions. What should our priorities be? How should we organise ourselves? Given the alignment between this and e.g. the historical activities of MOTU, how can we build community participation or link into existing activities?

Participants:
attending adconrad (Adam Conrad)
attending bilalakhtar (Bilal Akhtar)
attending brian-murray (Brian Murray)
attending broder (Evan Broder)
attending charlie-tca (Charlie Kravetz)
attending cjwatson (Colin Watson)
attending davewalker (Dave Walker)
attending doko (Matthias Klose)
attending gilir (Julien Lavergne)
attending james-page (James Page)
attending jibel (Jean-Baptiste Lallement)
attending kamalmostafa (Kamal Mostafa)
attending kate.stewart (Kate Stewart)
attending laney (Iain Lane)
attending mathieu-tl (Mathieu Trudel-Lapierre)
attending micahg (Micah Gersten)
attending mvo (Michael Vogt)
attending om26er (Omer Akram)
attending sbeattie (Steve Beattie)
attending ssweeny (Scott Sweeny)
attending stefanor (Stefano Rivera)
attending stgraber (Stéphane Graber)

Tracks:
  • Other
Bonaire 1 (Audio Feed) Go to Blueprint
Tuesday, 11:00 - 11:55 EDT
Not Attending Convert SystemV services to Upstart jobs in "main" (take 2) ( Foundations )
= Problem Statement = At present, there are 101 SystemV services in the Precise main archive that have not yet been converted to Upstart jobs(*). This needs to be recified. = Important services that need conversion = This is a selected list, but the following are important services that we could start with: - rabbitmq - open-iscsi - bind9 - apache - postfix - puppet - postgresql - tomcat6 - memcached = Rationale for Change = - Upstart is our init system of choice (SystemV is considered legacy). - Although Upstart does handle SystemV jobs, undesirable behaviour can and does result when there exist relationships between SystemV and Upstart jobs. - Upstart jobs are easier to maintain than SystemV jobs. - Upstart jobs are simpler than SystemV jobs. - Upstart jobs place the burden of managing certain repeated tasks on Upstart, rather than requiring each SystemV service to re-invent the wheel (often badly). - We wish to segregate SystemV jobs from Upstart jobs to optimize system shutdown. - See http://upstart.ubuntu.com/cookbook/#critique-of-the-system-v-init-system - To allow Upstart to be fully integrated into Debian, SysV services scripts *and* Upstart job files need to exist for a package. = Proposal = - Muster Community interest in an effort to port the remaining SystemV jobs to Upstart: It's a great way to learn Upstart! - Consider having an online sprint to concentrate on this activity for a few days(?) - Identify individuals who can help out when questions arise (jamesodhunt, spamaps, vorlon, etc?) - Leverage the work done in Fedora to migrate away from SystemV. - Concentrate on the most popular services first. - Review all Upstart jobs. - Thorough testing required. = Questions = - Aside from time, what is slowing down the conversion activity?:   - lack of examples? (We can blog and provide wiki examples)   - lack of familiarity with upstart job syntax? (We can hold education sessions)   - lack of ability to test the Upstart job versus the SysV service? (QA may be able to help here?)   - concerns over migration to "alternative init systems"? (there are no plans to switch)   - other? = See Also = https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/foundations-o-upstart-convert-main-initd-to-jobs (*) - this number has fallen from the 122 SysV services in natty, so the number is falling slowly :)

Participants:
attending hloeung (Haw Loeung)
attending ivoks (Ante Karamatić)
attending jamesodhunt (James Hunt)
attending james-page (James Page)
attending jonathan (Jonathan Carter)
attending marrusl (Mark Russell)
attending micahg (Micah Gersten)
attending mjeanson (Michael Jeanson)
attending paulliu (Ying-Chun Liu)
attending stgraber (Stéphane Graber)
attending tellis (Tom Ellis)
attending themuso (Luke Yelavich)
attending vorlon (Steve Langasek)

Tracks:
  • Foundations
Bonaire 1 (Audio Feed) Go to Blueprint
Tuesday, 12:00 - 13:00 EDT
Not Attending Infrastructure improvements for development release maintenance ( Other )
We have many reports that help us keep track of automatically-detectable problems in the development release (FTBFS, NBS, component-mismatches, the conflict checker, the transition tracker, etc.). These are all well and good, but they are rather disconnected from each other and in many cases do not provide very good facilities for distributing work among developers. If we want to drive these reports consistently to zero, some time spent on infrastructure would be worthwhile. What can we do to improve matters?

Participants:
attending adconrad (Adam Conrad)
attending broder (Evan Broder)
attending cjwatson (Colin Watson)
attending cody-somerville (Cody A.W. Somerville)
attending davewalker (Dave Walker)
attending jamesf (James Ferguson)
attending jibel (Jean-Baptiste Lallement)
attending kamalmostafa (Kamal Mostafa)
attending kate.stewart (Kate Stewart)
attending laney (Iain Lane)
attending mathieu-tl (Mathieu Trudel-Lapierre)
attending micahg (Micah Gersten)
attending sbeattie (Steve Beattie)
attending slavender (Scott Lavender)
attending smagoun (Steve Magoun)
attending stefanor (Stefano Rivera)
attending stgraber (Stéphane Graber)

Tracks:
  • Other
Bonaire 1 (Audio Feed) Go to Blueprint
Tuesday, 15:00 - 16:00 EDT
Not Attending Project Unify - Integrating Canonical Design with both Canonical and community Upstream and Downstre ( Design )
Project Unify is a new tool designed to help integrate the Unity design bug workflows with internal and external upstreams and downstreams. If you are interested solving Unity user interface bugs, or just finding out more about how the different teams involved in developing the Unity user interface work together, come to this session.

Participants:
attending charlinepoirier (Charline Poirier)
attending cjohnston (Chris Johnston)
attending cprofitt (Charles Profitt)
attending fourdollars (Shih-Yuan Lee)
attending gary-lasker (Gary Lasker)
attending johnlea (John Lea)
attending michelle-canonical (Michelle Surtees-Myers)
attending mpt (Matthew Paul Thomas)
attending nskaggs (Nicholas Skaggs)
attending nuthinking (Christian Giordano)
attending ranman (Randy Linnell)

Tracks:
  • Design
Bonaire 1 (Audio Feed) Go to Blueprint
Tuesday, 16:15 - 17:00 EDT
Not Attending Syncing playlists between music players and machines ( Desktop )
Having playlists shared between music players and between machines would be a great idea; make a playlist on Banshee on one Ubuntu machine and it also shows up in Rhythmbox, and Banshee on your netbook, and Ubuntu One music streaming. A standard format for playlists should be defined (m3u? pls? Something else?) and details of where those playlists should be stored, how they should be synced, and how music players can automatically read and write them seamlessly.

Participants:
attending cjcurran (Conor Curran)
attending mattgriffin (Matt Griffin)
attending sil (Stuart Langridge)
attending vila (Vincent Ladeuil)

Tracks:
  • Desktop
Bonaire 1 (Audio Feed) Go to Blueprint
Tuesday, 17:05 - 18:00 EDT
Not Attending Improving weekly release meeting ( Other )
Some features were rolled out during Oneiric to make the weekly release meetings more efficient for tracking features and bugs of interest to the release team, but more improvement is needed.     Features via Topics in: http://status.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-oneiric/     Bugs of interest to release team in: http://reports.qa.ubuntu.com/reports/kernel-bugs/reports/rls-mgr-o-tracking-bugs.html Would like to discuss elements of what is useful for each team to share, and how the round table can be made more effective for the participants.

Participants:
attending brad-figg (Brad Figg)
attending charlie-tca (Charlie Kravetz)
attending cjwatson (Colin Watson)
attending davewalker (Dave Walker)
attending gilir (Julien Lavergne)
attending jdstrand (Jamie Strandboge)
attending jibel (Jean-Baptiste Lallement)
attending jonathan (Jonathan Carter)
attending kate.stewart (Kate Stewart)
attending laney (Iain Lane)
attending leannogasawara (Leann Ogasawara)
attending maaarc (Marc Legris)
attending ogra (Oliver Grawert)
attending pitti (Martin Pitt)
attending rsalveti (Ricardo Salveti)
attending slavender (Scott Lavender)
attending stefanor (Stefano Rivera)
attending stgraber (Stéphane Graber)

Tracks:
  • Other
Bonaire 1 (Audio Feed) Go to Blueprint
Wednesday, 09:00 - 09:55 EDT
Not Attending Ubuntu Server + Hadoop and Bigdata ( Server and Cloud )
Apache Hadoop has gained widespread adoption; the various flavours of Hadoop appear to be consolidating and Cloudera have transferred a number of their Hadoop related projects to Apache including Bigtop (the Cloudera packaging for Redhat, Debian and SuSE). Packaging Hadoop for Ubuntu would help support developing a set of rock solid Juju charms for Hadoop by providing a well integrated version of the packaging for Ubuntu. Collaboration with Apache Bigtop would also potentially help support packaging the wider family of Hadoop related projects.

Participants:
attending ameetp (Ameet Paranjape)
attending clint-fewbar (Clint Byrum)
attending craig.magina (Craig Magina)
attending drussell (Dave Russell)
attending hoffman-p (Assaf Hoffman)
attending james-page (James Page)
attending jason-hobbs (Jason Hobbs)
attending jeff-underhill (Jeff Underhill)
attending kentb (Kent Baxley)
attending kirkland (Dustin Kirkland )
attending lynxman (Marc Cluet)
attending mahmoh (M.Morana)
attending mark-mims (Mark Mims)
attending martinbogo (Martin Bogomolni)
attending negronjl (Juan L. Negron)
attending tellis (Tom Ellis)

Tracks:
  • Server and Cloud
Bonaire 1 (Audio Feed) Go to Blueprint
Wednesday, 10:00 - 10:45 EDT
Not Attending Ubuntu App Review Board - Update and Planning ( Community )
Review ARB activity, and plan for the next cycle. Introducing new members.

Participants:
attending allison (Allison Randal)
attending bhavi (Bhavani Shankar)
attending bilalakhtar (Bilal Akhtar)
attending cparrino (Cristian Parrino)
attending czajkowski (Laura Czajkowski)
attending dpitkin (David Pitkin)
attending dpm (David Planella)
attending elachuni (Anthony Lenton)
attending gary-lasker (Gary Lasker)
attending jdstrand (Jamie Strandboge)
attending jjohansen (John Johansen)
attending jml (Jonathan Lange)
attending jonathan (Jonathan Carter)
attending jpugh (John Pugh)
attending lfaraone (Luke Faraone)
attending micahg (Micah Gersten)
attending michael.nelson (Michael Nelson)
attending mvo (Michael Vogt)
attending stefanor (Stefano Rivera)
attending stgraber (Stéphane Graber)
attending zack-debian (Stefano Zacchiroli)

Tracks:
  • Community
Bonaire 1 (Audio Feed) Go to Blueprint
Wednesday, 11:00 - 11:55 EDT
Not Attending community accessibility testing ( Desktop )
Community testing of accessibility during the development cycle. During most cycles, testing can not be started until the last month or later of the cycle. Testing needs to start as close to the cycle start as possible, with Alpha2 as the latest date to be able to test it.

Participants:
attending charlie-tca (Charlie Kravetz)
attending frederik-gladhorn (Frederik Gladhorn)
attending kate.stewart (Kate Stewart)
attending pendulum (Penelope Stowe)
attending themuso (Luke Yelavich)

Tracks:
  • Desktop
Bonaire 1 (Audio Feed) Go to Blueprint
Wednesday, 12:00 - 13:00 EDT
Not Attending 12.04 LTS (Precise Pangolin) Release Planning ( Other )
Review LTS release schedule, coordinate across teams, plan delivery across milestones.

Participants:
attending adconrad (Adam Conrad)
attending bilalakhtar (Bilal Akhtar)
attending brad-figg (Brad Figg)
attending charlie-tca (Charlie Kravetz)
attending davewalker (Dave Walker)
attending ev (Evan Dandrea)
attending gema (Gema Gomez)
attending gilir (Julien Lavergne)
attending jibel (Jean-Baptiste Lallement)
attending jonobacon (Jono Bacon)
attending jplans (Jose Plans)
attending jr (Jonathan Riddell)
attending kate.stewart (Kate Stewart)
attending laney (Iain Lane)
attending micahg (Micah Gersten)
attending pancro (Ezio de Mauro)
attending pvillavi (Pedro Villavicencio)
attending slavender (Scott Lavender)
attending stefanor (Stefano Rivera)
attending stgraber (Stéphane Graber)
attending superm1 (Mario Limonciello)
attending tellis (Tom Ellis)
attending tgm4883 (Thomas Mashos)
attending ttx (Thierry Carrez)

Tracks:
  • Other
Bonaire 1 (Audio Feed) Go to Blueprint
Wednesday, 16:15 - 17:00 EDT
Not Attending Upgrading preloaded Ubuntu to the next Ubuntu release ( Other )
Today you can buy a computer preloaded with Ubuntu from many different vendors. The OS image used at the factory is often modified to provide better hardware support. It may also contain customizations such as additional bookmarks or applications. As a result of these customizations, the upgrade path to the next version of Ubuntu is not as clean as it could be.

Participants:
attending achiang (Alex Chiang)
attending apulido (Ara Pulido)
attending brendan-donegan (Brendan Donegan)
attending cody-somerville (Cody A.W. Somerville)
attending diwic (David Henningsson)
attending fourdollars (Shih-Yuan Lee)
attending jamesf (James Ferguson)
attending kate.stewart (Kate Stewart)
attending kentb (Kent Baxley)
attending osomon (Olivier Tilloy)
attending pcm689 (Pascal Morin)
attending sfeole (Sean Feole)
attending smagoun (Steve Magoun)
attending superm1 (Mario Limonciello)
attending tellis (Tom Ellis)
attending timrchavez (Timothy R. Chavez)

Tracks:
  • Other
Bonaire 1 (Audio Feed) Go to Blueprint
Wednesday, 17:05 - 18:00 EDT
Not Attending Ubuntu Leadership Team Goals for -P cycle ( Community )
Goals for the UDS-P cycle to help the Ubuntu Leadership Team establish relationships with formal Ubuntu Leadership Councils, Boards, and leaders throughout the community in a effort to provide resources for mentoring new leadership and encourage and motivate current leadership to become even more effective and efficient.

Participants:
attending akgraner (Amber Graner)
attending andrenoel (Andre Noel)
attending charlie-tca (Charlie Kravetz)
attending christophe.sauthier (Christophe Sauthier)
attending cjohnston (Chris Johnston)
attending cprofitt (Charles Profitt)
attending czajkowski (Laura Czajkowski)
attending david.wonderly (David Wonderly)
attending gilir (Julien Lavergne)
attending micahg (Micah Gersten)
attending pendulum (Penelope Stowe)
attending randall (Randall Ross)
attending slavender (Scott Lavender)
attending valorie-zimmerman (Valorie Zimmerman)
attending yoboy-leguesh (YoBoY)

Tracks:
  • Community
Bonaire 1 (Audio Feed) Go to Blueprint
Thursday, 09:00 - 09:55 EDT
Not Attending Revisit the install experience for products delivered via orchestra + juju ( Server and Cloud )
The current install experience for Ubuntu Cloud Infrastructure is less than optimal: - lack of discoverability - many steps - lack of clean documentation We need to identify what, when and how to improve this, specifically for Ubuntu Cloud Infrastructure and in general for products delivers via orchestra + juju

Participants:
attending andreserl (Andres Rodriguez)
attending davewalker (Dave Walker)
attending james-page (James Page)
attending lynxman (Marc Cluet)
attending mahmoh (M.Morana)
attending marrusl (Mark Russell)
attending med (David Medberry)
attending nijaba (Nick Barcet)
attending sabdfl (Mark Shuttleworth)
attending tellis (Tom Ellis)

Tracks:
  • Server and Cloud
Bonaire 1 (Audio Feed) Go to Blueprint
Thursday, 10:00 - 10:45 EDT
Not Attending Docs Team Planning ( Other )
We need to identify areas where the Ubuntu documentation is lacking, improve our own documentation of how to get involved, and advertise to recruit contributors to help fill in the missing documentation.

Participants:
attending davewalker (Dave Walker)
attending david.wonderly (David Wonderly)
attending dbarth (David Barth)
attending jbicha (Jeremy Bicha)
attending jonobacon (Jono Bacon)
attending jplans (Jose Plans)
attending kate.stewart (Kate Stewart)
attending pancro (Ezio de Mauro)
attending slavender (Scott Lavender)
attending stadtler (Martin Stadtler)

Tracks:
  • Other
Bonaire 1 (Audio Feed) Go to Blueprint
Thursday, 11:00 - 11:55 EDT
Not Attending Juju Charm submission Workflow ( Community )
How are we going to manage community submitted charms? Peer review? etc.

Participants:
attending ameetp (Ameet Paranjape)
attending bdfhjk (Marek Bardoński)
attending clint-fewbar (Clint Byrum)
attending drussell (Dave Russell)
attending hloeung (Haw Loeung)
attending jorge (Jorge O. Castro)
attending mahmoh (M.Morana)
attending mark-mims (Mark Mims)
attending robbiew (Robbie Williamson)
attending svwilliams (Stephen V. Williams)
attending tellis (Tom Ellis)

Tracks:
  • Community
Bonaire 1 (Audio Feed) Go to Blueprint
Thursday, 12:00 - 13:00 EDT
Not Attending Making the Daily ISO work every day during development ( Foundations )
During 12.04 development we will strive to ensure that Ubuntu Desktop works each day so that everyone can reasonably make progress with their development goals, rather than being blocked by poor quality in different areas of the product. The flow as I envision it would go: 1. The ISO is testing in the morning for Europe 2. If the ISO is found to be acceptable, the QA reports such 3. If the ISO is found to be hard to use or test, the QA team reports as such 4. Ubuntu Engineering then investigates which package caused the breakage 5. The package that caused the ISO Is reverted 6. The ISO is rebuilt and step 1 starts again

Participants:
attending charlie-tca (Charlie Kravetz)
attending cjwatson (Colin Watson)
attending ev (Evan Dandrea)
attending fourdollars (Shih-Yuan Lee)
attending gary-lasker (Gary Lasker)
attending gema (Gema Gomez)
attending gilir (Julien Lavergne)
attending jibel (Jean-Baptiste Lallement)
attending jonathan (Jonathan Carter)
attending pgraner (Pete Graner)
attending raof (Chris Halse Rogers)
attending rick-rickspencer3 (Rick Spencer)
attending superm1 (Mario Limonciello)
attending vorlon (Steve Langasek)

Tracks:
  • Foundations
Bonaire 1 (Audio Feed) Go to Blueprint
Thursday, 15:00 - 16:00 EDT
Not Attending Server Workloads Performance-to-Power Consumption Testing ( Server and Cloud )
We need to implement performance testing for ARM server supported workloads. The focus is performance compared to the amount of power consumed.

Participants:
attending andreserl (Andres Rodriguez)
attending aquette (Arnaud Quette)
attending craig.magina (Craig Magina)
attending gruemaster (Tobin Davis)
attending hoffman-p (Assaf Hoffman)
attending jason-hobbs (Jason Hobbs)
attending jeff-underhill (Jeff Underhill)
attending mahmoh (M.Morana)
attending mcasadevall (Michael Casadevall)
attending racb (Robie Basak)
attending tellis (Tom Ellis)
attending vtuson (Victor Tuson Palau)

Tracks:
  • Server and Cloud
Bonaire 1 (Audio Feed) Go to Blueprint
Thursday, 16:15 - 17:00 EDT
Not Attending Process review and improvments for mentoring new Bug Squad members ( Other )
The process of mentoring new Bug Squad members will be reviewed as will feedback from people being mentored. A redesign of the mentorship program will be discussed.

Participants:
attending charlie-tca (Charlie Kravetz)
attending cprofitt (Charles Profitt)
attending hggdh2 (C de-Avillez)
attending jibel (Jean-Baptiste Lallement)
attending micahg (Micah Gersten)
attending pvillavi (Pedro Villavicencio)

Tracks:
  • Other
Bonaire 1 (Audio Feed) Go to Blueprint
Thursday, 17:05 - 18:00 EDT
Not Attending Juju: automated testing of charms ( Server and Cloud )
Charms need to be tested by an automated test runner on each commit to the charm store. There is a need to test each charm's use of each interface with any charms which implement the other side of the interface.

Participants:
attending clint-fewbar (Clint Byrum)
attending drussell (Dave Russell)
attending fenris (Khairul Aizat Kamarudzzaman)
attending gandelman-a (Adam Gandelman)
attending hazmat (Kapil Thangavelu)
attending james-page (James Page)
attending lynxman (Marc Cluet)
attending mahmoh (M.Morana)
attending mark-mims (Mark Mims)
attending marrusl (Mark Russell)
attending wmills (Bill Mills)

Tracks:
  • Server and Cloud
Bonaire 1 (Audio Feed) Go to Blueprint
Friday, 09:00 - 09:55 EDT
Not Attending Cloud HA ( Server and Cloud )
Discuss the current HA cluster stack and its usage in OpenStack and finish with the merges of newest upstream changes. Additionally, discuss the adoption of Pacemaker Cloud [1]. "The Pacemaker Cloud project provides high levels of service availability for high scale cloud deployments. Our approach to high availability is to detect failures, isolate failures, followed by restart of the failed components. When repeated component failures occur the software escalates those failures into failures of higher level components." "" [1]: http://pacemaker-cloud.org/

Participants:
attending andreserl (Andres Rodriguez)
attending aquette (Arnaud Quette)
attending drussell (Dave Russell)
attending heckj (Joseph Heck)
attending ivoks (Ante Karamatić)
attending james-page (James Page)
attending jason-hobbs (Jason Hobbs)
attending justin-l-werner (Justin L Werner)
attending lynxman (Marc Cluet)
attending marrusl (Mark Russell)
attending med (David Medberry)
attending nijaba (Nick Barcet)
attending soren (Soren Hansen)
attending tellis (Tom Ellis)
attending ttx (Thierry Carrez)

Tracks:
  • Server and Cloud
Bonaire 1 (Audio Feed) Go to Blueprint
Friday, 10:00 - 10:45 EDT
Not Attending Improve friendly recovery ( Foundations )
A bit of work has been done late in the Oneiric cycle to improve friendly recovery to work better. Now with the LTS coming up, it's time to fix some of the bigger issues for good and make sure the recovery mode will be useful and working for everyone. Things to discuss include: - Dealing with udev so important devices are initialized in recovery mode - Properly initialize the network, either by using ifupdown or Network Manager - Update the plugins to work properly when network isn't available and give a clue to the user that they need to enable network

Participants:
attending cjwatson (Colin Watson)
attending ivoks (Ante Karamatić)
attending mdeslaur (Marc Deslauriers)
attending micahg (Micah Gersten)
attending stgraber (Stéphane Graber)

Tracks:
  • Foundations
Bonaire 1 (Audio Feed) Go to Blueprint
Friday, 11:00 - 11:55 EDT
Not Attending Openstack Integration Testing ( Server and Cloud )
Since Diablo, Openstack continues to grow at a rapid pace. As it will likely continue its pace throughout the Essex & P cycles, we need to determine which components, functionality and configurations matter most to us and how to test. With Juju driving automated complex deployment testing, we should drill down on specific areas of the stack that are critical to the success Ubuntu Cloud LTS. We should also consider how our testing can make use of upstream's existing QA infrastructure and how our efforts can benefit the Openstack community as a whole.

Participants:
attending andreserl (Andres Rodriguez)
attending gandelman-a (Adam Gandelman)
attending ivoks (Ante Karamatić)
attending james-page (James Page)
attending lynxman (Marc Cluet)
attending marrusl (Mark Russell)
attending med (David Medberry)
attending nijaba (Nick Barcet)
attending soren (Soren Hansen)
attending tellis (Tom Ellis)
attending ttx (Thierry Carrez)

Tracks:
  • Server and Cloud
Bonaire 1 (Audio Feed) Go to Blueprint
Friday, 12:00 - 13:00 EDT
Not Attending ISO/QA testing tracker improvements for Precise ( Foundations )
The QA tracker at http://iso.qa.ubuntu.com has been around for quite a while now. It's in desperate need of some small changes to better work with the amount of testing Ubuntu requires nowadays. This session is meant to discuss what are the most important changes we need to make the tracker work better for the LTS. These changes should ideally be implementable very quickly as the tracker starts being used for the first alpha.

Participants:
attending brian-murray (Brian Murray)
attending charlie-tca (Charlie Kravetz)
attending dpm (David Planella)
attending gilir (Julien Lavergne)
attending gruemaster (Tobin Davis)
attending james-page (James Page)
attending kate.stewart (Kate Stewart)
attending pvillavi (Pedro Villavicencio)
attending ray.chen (Ray Chen)
attending slavender (Scott Lavender)
attending stgraber (Stéphane Graber)
attending xdatap1 (Paolo Sammicheli)

Tracks:
  • Foundations
Bonaire 1 (Audio Feed) Go to Blueprint
Friday, 15:00 - 16:00 EDT
Not Attending Improvements to cloud-utils and Related Packages ( Server and Cloud )
Discuss cloud new utilities that can be added to cloud-utils or new packages that Ubuntu should bring in.

Participants:
attending lynxman (Marc Cluet)
attending marrusl (Mark Russell)
attending med (David Medberry)
attending nijaba (Nick Barcet)
attending smoser (Scott Moser)
attending soren (Soren Hansen)
attending tellis (Tom Ellis)

Tracks:
  • Server and Cloud
Bonaire 1 (Audio Feed) Go to Blueprint
Friday, 16:15 - 17:00 EDT
Not Attending IPv6 healthcheck for Precise ( Foundations )
Similar to the IPv6 session we had in Budapest. Discuss what changed in Oneiric and what we want to focus on for Precise. Things to discuss at least include: - New ifupdown supporting dhcpv6 - Testing our most important server and client packages for IPv6 support - Status of IPv6 support for Ubuntu core services like archive.ubuntu.com, archive.canonical.com, ntp.ubuntu.com, geoip.ubuntu.com, ... so we can have a perfectly working install in an IPv6 only environment - Privacy extensions - Dual-stack DHCP server support

Participants:
attending apw (Andy Whitcroft)
attending dhenrich (Dean Henrichsmeyer)
attending gruemaster (Tobin Davis)
attending hloeung (Haw Loeung)
attending hrw (Marcin Juszkiewicz)
attending jdstrand (Jamie Strandboge)
attending lfaraone (Luke Faraone)
attending lyz (Elizabeth Krumbach Joseph)
attending mahmoh (M.Morana)
attending mathieu-tl (Mathieu Trudel-Lapierre)
attending micahg (Micah Gersten)
attending mjeanson (Michael Jeanson)
attending paulliu (Ying-Chun Liu)
attending serge-hallyn (Serge Hallyn)
attending stefanor (Stefano Rivera)
attending stgraber (Stéphane Graber)
attending tellis (Tom Ellis)

Tracks:
  • Foundations
Bonaire 1 (Audio Feed) Go to Blueprint