Ubuntu logo

Developer Summit

< Wednesday >

09:00 - 09:55 CET
Review the state of the current collections, identified things that need to be fixed, expanded on or removed.

Participants:
attending jasna493 (Jasna Bencic)
attending mfisch (Matt Fischer)
attending mhall119 (Michael Hall)
attending rafalcieslak256 (Rafal Cieślak)
attending randall (Randall Ross (rrnwexec))
attending soeren-b-c (Søren Bredlund Caspersen)
attending soren-bronsted (Søren Brønsted)

Tracks:
  • Community
B3-M1 (Audio Feed) (IRC Logs) Go to Blueprint
Roundtable sessions of the Community team.

Participants:
attending cjohnston (Chris Johnston)
attending daker (Adnane Belmadiaf)
attending dholbach (Daniel Holbach)
attending itnet7 (Chris Crisafulli)
attending jose (José Antonio Rey Cama)
attending knome (Pasi Lallinaho)
attending lyz (Elizabeth K. Joseph)
attending randall (Randall Ross (rrnwexec))
attending sergiomeneses (Sergio Meneses)
attending soeren-b-c (Søren Bredlund Caspersen)
attending tiagohillebrandt (Tiago Hillebrandt)
attending tmt (Jussi Kekkonen)
attending yoboy-leguesh (YoBoY)

Tracks:
  • Community
B3-M10 (Audio Feed) (IRC Logs)
Morning sync to discuss sessions to attend during the day and review any sessions attended the day prior.

Participants:
attending apw (Andy Whitcroft)
attending ikepanhc (Ike Panhc)
attending zequence (Kaj Ailomaa)

Tracks:
  • Hardware
B3-M3 (Audio Feed) (IRC Logs)
Open roundtable to discuss any Ubuntu App Development topics that might or might not be in the schedule.

Participants:
attending ajmitch (Andrew Mitchell)
attending bernd-sch (Bernd Schlapsi)
attending bhavi (Bhavani Shankar)
attending dpm (David Planella)
attending mohanchml (mohi)
attending stefan-schwarzburg (Schwarzburg)

Tracks:
  • App Development
B3-M4 (Audio Feed) (IRC Logs)
Kubuntu Active in Raring

Participants:
attending jr (Jonathan Riddell)
attending kitterman (Scott Kitterman)
attending mariusko (Marius B. Kotsbak)
attending quintasan (Michał Zając)
attending rohangarg (Rohan Garg)
attending steveriley (Steve Riley)
attending tmt (Jussi Kekkonen)
attending txwikinger (Ralph Janke)

Tracks:
  • Desktop
B3-M5 (Audio Feed) (IRC Logs) Go to Blueprint
Discussing the usage of HEXR for testing purposes Example use cases; Using your hardware profile inside the qatracker during reporting Ultimate goal; Targeted testcases for specific hardware configurations. Testing campaigns to push testcases and results back to developers

Participants:
attending carla-sella (Carla Sella)
attending fginther (Francis Ginther)
attending hzliu123 (Hao-Ran Liu)
attending joetalbott (Joe Talbott)
attending nskaggs (Nicholas Skaggs)
attending primes2h (Sergio Zanchetta)
attending schwuk (David Murphy)

Tracks:
  • QA
B3-M6 (Audio Feed) (IRC Logs) Go to Blueprint
The FWTS Development Team's plans for Ubuntu 13.04 12.10 Blueprint: https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/hardware-q-fwts-improvements

Participants:
attending apulido (Ara Pulido)
attending apw (Andy Whitcroft)
attending ayrton (Ayrton Araújo)
attending bladernr (Jeff Lane)
attending brendan-donegan (Brendan Donegan)
attending chris.gagnon (Chris Gagnon)
attending colin-king (Colin Ian King)
attending ethan.chang (Ethan Chang)
attending ivan.hu (Ivan Hu)
attending kaja (Kaja Podlaska Christiansen)
attending lexical (Keng-Yü Lin)
attending narindergupta (Narinder Gupta)
attending sconklin (Steve Conklin)
attending sforshee (Seth Forshee)
attending smagoun (Steve Magoun)
attending sylvain-pineau (Sylvain Pineau)
attending taitenpeng (Taiten taiten.peng@canonical.com)
attending vanhoof (Chris Van Hoof)

Tracks:
  • Hardware
B3-M7 (Audio Feed) (IRC Logs) Go to Blueprint
[RATIONALE]: Currently the Cloud Images are built and released based on upstream tests. The idea is that if the upstream tests work, that the images will just work. However, due to bugs hit this past cycle, and with the proliferation of new clouds, the need to validate that the cloud images work where they should and characterisiticly are what we say they are, is becoming apparent. Also, with the proliferation of new cloud vendors, there is a need to automate the release process. Some in the community have asked for a more frequent release cadance for the cloud images. As a result, for the R-cycle, we will implement testing and automation that will be aimed at ensuring enhanced quality of the images. [GOAL]:   1) Implement deeper testing for the Ubuntu Cloud Images   2) Improve the quality of the Ubuntu Cloud Images by pro-actively looking for regressions and stress testing.   3) Implement Automatic releases to increase the release cadance for the Cloud Images The following Tests will be implemented: * Image Characteristic Tests:   - Define attributes of a Cloud Image, i.e. prescense of certain files, file formats, and package sets. For example:         - precences of /etc/cloud and files under it         - check boot loader configruation for grub and grub2         - deeper cloud-init testing         - check SSH configuration * Bug regression tests: look over the Cloud Image bugs related to the bulding of the images. For example:     - check that /var/log/{btmp,wtmp,lastlog} exist     - In order for a cloud image bug to be "fixed released" a test should be written to prevent future regressions. * Image boot tests    - Test that QCow images boot on KVM and OpenStack    - Test that outputed files are valid    - Validate boot loader and console configurations * Image proactive bug searching in Cloud instances    - Fully excersize disk, I/O and network looking for potential bugs    - Increase Amazon instance sizes tested    - Excercise -proposed updates to check for issues which may cause problems    - Use of Juju for testing Juju/Cloud Integration    - Mock workload tests * Image performance testing    - Measure I/O performance to identify problems with kernels or userland configurations caused by updates or build process * Explore implementation of UTAH testing framework * Integration and publication of results to Jenkins Instance    - Add the daily images to iso.qa.ubuntu.com    - Automatically update test results to iso.qa.ubuntu.com For Automation: * Integrate testing into image build process.    - Daily images for the development release must pass characteristic and regression tests.    - Daily images for the stable releases must pass all tests to be published    - Milestones for the development image are subjected to all tests suites    - Introduce automatic promotion of QA'd daily images when the daily has a new kernel or boot-criticial (i.e. reboot required to use) package.        - Automate email announcement generation - Implement Twitter Announcements - RSS Feeds Feedback Requests (via the two major Ubuntu Cloud Lists) https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-cloud/2012-October/000839.html https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!topic/ec2ubuntu/HLjoxOgOJ10

Participants:
attending amscanne (Adin Scannell)
attending andreserl (Andres Rodriguez)
attending a.rosales (Antonio Rosales)
attending bladernr (Jeff Lane)
attending brad-figg (Brad Figg)
attending brendan-donegan (Brendan Donegan)
attending chaltain (Christopher Chaltain)
attending clint-fewbar (Clint Byrum)
attending davidpbritton (David Britton)
attending dooferlad (James Tunnicliffe)
attending gema (Gema Gomez)
attending ghe.rivero (Ghe Rivero)
attending hatocorp (Jacob Okoniewski)
attending hazmat (Kapil Thangavelu)
attending ijc (Ian Campbell)
attending james-page (James james.page@canonical.com)
attending jibel (Jean-Baptiste Lallement)
attending kate.stewart (Kate Stewart)
attending koolhead17 (koolhead17)
attending louis-bouchard (Louis Bouchard)
attending mahmoh (M.Morana)
attending marrusl (Mark Russell)
attending med (David Medberry)
attending mikalstill (Michael Still)
attending mordred (Monty Taylor)
attending narindergupta (Narinder Gupta)
attending negronjl (Juan L. Negron)
attending nobuto (Nobuto MURATA)
attending pertinent (Kevin Metz)
attending psivaa (Parameswaran Sivatharman)
attending roadmr (Daniel Manrique)
attending smoser (Scott Moser)
attending sylvain-pineau (Sylvain Pineau)
attending utlemming (Ben Howard)

Tracks:
  • Cloud & Server
B3-M8 (Audio Feed) (IRC Logs) Go to Blueprint
In the last years a Common Printing Dialog was proposed as an OpenPrinting project and developemnt ha started, but the dream of having one unique printing dialog provided by the desktop environment (KDE or GNOME) never got turned reality due to lack of funding. The project did not only propose the one idea of a common dialog, but many small ideas of making print dialogs better and making available all the features of CUPS. As we are not able to finish the global project of a Common Print Dialog we could at least adopt some of the ideas which came up during the project. They can be implemented as independent patches to the dialogs/toolkits and submitted to the upstream projects. For some there are even PPD extensions defined and used by some driver developers, but the extensions do not get made use of in current dialogs. As this blueprint describes a lot of small ideas it does not require complete implementation in Raring, we could start with the most important ideas, or with the low-hanging fruits, or with which is already supported in existing drivers, ... To see the ideas and get some code to play around with here is the (now dead) project page of the Common Print Dialog on OpenPrinting: http://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/workgroups/openprinting/commonprintingdialog Some of the interesting ideas: - Translated option/choice names for printer-specific options in the print dialog via "global" (multi-language) PPD files. such PPD files already come with HPLIP and Gutenprint - Tagging options, so one could for example show all paper-handling or all color-tweaking options - Widget hints: By adding hints to the PPD (AFAIK Gutenprint already has them) the driver developer could make the dialog represent options with his choice of widget (radio buttons vs. dropdown, input field with spinner vs. slider, input field with "phone book" button for fax numbers, ...) - Icons delivered by the PPD: Printer manufacturer/model logos, icons for options and choices. Widget hints could then even make certain options shown as icons only. - Color management: Choose server-side ICC profiles, rendering intents, ... - Preview embedded in print dialog (LibreOffice has this already) - All dialogs should provide the CUPS filter (non-printer-specific) options: N-up, reverse order, ... - ... Let us discuss what is urgently missing, what are papercuts, what are great improvements, ... and let printing dialogs get better.

Participants:
attending ajenbo (AJenbo)
attending attente (William Hua)
attending bjoern-michaelsen (Björn Michaelsen)
attending jasoncwarner (Jason Warner)
attending kamil-zwyrtek (Kamil Zwyrtek)
attending kokoto-java (George Karavasilev)
attending larsu (Lars Uebernickel)
attending mpt (Matthew Paul Thomas)
attending nobuto (Nobuto MURATA)
attending ove-risberg (Ove Risberg)
attending shroudedcloud (Jonathan Meek)
attending till-kamppeter (Till Kamppeter)

Tracks:
  • Desktop
B4-M5 (Audio Feed) (IRC Logs) Go to Blueprint
This blueprint summarizes ongoing efforts to remove Python 2 from all Ubuntu installation media (formerly known as CD images :). While fantastic progress was made in 12.10, the job is not yet complete. We will be continuing the efforts for 13.04. Here is the new spreadsheet for packages which need porting for 13.04: http://tinyurl.com/8zcmr2w

Participants:
attending ayrton (Ayrton Araújo)
(required) barry (Barry Warsaw)
attending cmiller (Chad Miller)
(required) doko (Matthias Klose)
attending gilir (Julien Lavergne)
attending kate.stewart (Kate Stewart)
(required) kitterman (Scott Kitterman)
attending kiwinote (Kiwinote)
attending mterry (Michael Terry)
attending robru (♫ Robert Bruce Park ♫)
attending seb128 (Sebastien Bacher)
attending stefanor (Stefano Rivera)
attending tiagohillebrandt (Tiago Hillebrandt)
attending vorlon (Steve Langasek)
(required) xnox (Dimitri John Ledkov)

Tracks:
  • Foundations
B4-M6 (Audio Feed) (IRC Logs) Go to Blueprint
10:00 - 10:45 CET
A lot of our users do full dist-upgrades rather than reinstalling for every single release. It's a good thing that we support it and a very important feature, unfortunately it's a rather fragile feature, especially when doing LTS-to-LTS upgrades. This session is here to discuss ways to allow for faster, more reliable dist-upgrades. Some ideas: - Split download from upgrade - Run upgrade in a minimal failsafe environment - Use snapshotting features, overlayfs, ... when available to "test" the upgrade - Detect known issues prior to upgrade and warn the user about them

Participants:
attending barry (Barry Warsaw)
attending bjoern-michaelsen (Björn Michaelsen)
(required) brian-murray (Brian Murray)
(required) brunogirin (Bruno Girin)
attending cjwatson (Colin Watson)
attending donkult (David Kalnischkies)
attending evfool (Robert Roth)
attending glatzor (Sebastian Heinlein)
attending hardik-dalwadi (Hardik Dalwadi)
attending jamesodhunt (James Hunt)
attending kaja (Kaja Podlaska Christiansen)
attending kamil-zwyrtek (Kamil Zwyrtek)
(required) laney (Iain iain@orangesquash.org.uk)
attending marrusl (Mark Russell)
attending nijaba (Nick Barcet)
attending nobuto (Nobuto MURATA)
attending nskaggs (Nicholas Skaggs)
attending ove-risberg (Ove Risberg)
attending pwlars (Paul Larson)
attending rsalveti (Ricardo Salveti)
attending ssweeny (Scott Sweeny)
attending stefanor (Stefano Rivera)
attending steveriley (Steve Riley)
(required) stgraber (Stéphane Graber)
(required) ted (Ted Gould)
attending ursinha (Ursula Junque)
(required) xnox (Dimitri John Ledkov)
(required) zack-debian (Stefano Zacchiroli)

Tracks:
  • Foundations
B3-M1 (Audio Feed) (IRC Logs) Go to Blueprint
This session is for discussing an infrastructure and common tooling for data mining the Ubuntu project (archive, packages,bugs,blueprints, etc.) in order to determine information that will help with trend analysis and insights into improving automation and turning facts to knowledge ;)

Participants:
attending andrewsomething (Andrew Starr-Bochicchio)
attending ayrton (Ayrton Araújo)
attending bladernr (Jeff Lane)
attending brian-murray (Brian Murray)
attending christopherarges (Chris J Arges)
attending cjohnston (Chris Johnston)
attending cprofitt (Charles Profitt)
attending davidc3 (David Callé)
attending drussell (Dave Russell)
attending ev (Evan Dandrea)
attending evfool (Robert Roth)
attending hatocorp (Jacob Okoniewski)
attending jjo (JuanJo Ciarlante)
attending kate.stewart (Kate Stewart)
attending kiwinote (Kiwinote)
attending louis-bouchard (Louis Bouchard)
attending milner (Mike Milner)
attending nobuto (Nobuto MURATA)
attending rafalcieslak256 (Rafal Cieślak)
attending randall (Randall Ross (rrnwexec))
attending smagoun (Steve Magoun)
attending soeren-b-c (Søren Bredlund Caspersen)
attending taitenpeng (Taiten taiten.peng@canonical.com)
attending tiagohillebrandt (Tiago Hillebrandt)
attending ursinha (Ursula Junque)

Tracks:
  • Community
B3-M2 (Audio Feed) (IRC Logs) Go to Blueprint
We should discuss our plans for the Packaging Guide for the R cycle. The most important topic is going to be to merge the old and the new Packaging Guide.

Participants:
attending andrewsomething (Andrew Starr-Bochicchio)
attending bdrung (Benjamin Drung)
attending bhavi (Bhavani Shankar)
attending bkerensa (Benjamin Kerensa)
attending cjohnston (Chris Johnston)
attending dholbach (Daniel Holbach)
attending fabiomarconi (Fabio Marconi)
attending fenris (Khairul Aizat Kamarudzzaman)
attending itnet7 (Chris Crisafulli)
attending josephjamesmills (Joseph Mills)
attending kate.stewart (Kate Stewart)
attending kitterman (Scott Kitterman)
attending nobuto (Nobuto MURATA)
attending quintasan (Michał Zając)
attending rohangarg (Rohan Garg)
attending sergiomeneses (Sergio Meneses)
attending stefanor (Stefano Rivera)
attending tiagohillebrandt (Tiago Hillebrandt)
attending ursinha (Ursula Junque)
attending zequence (Kaj Ailomaa)

Tracks:
  • Community
B3-M3 (Audio Feed) (IRC Logs) Go to Blueprint

Participants:
attending ballock (Bolesław Tokarski)
attending javier.collado (Javier Collado)
attending joetalbott (Joe Talbott)
attending josephjamesmills (Joseph Mills)
attending nuclearbob (Max Brustkern)
attending utlemming (Ben Howard)
attending veebers (Christopher Lee)

Tracks:
  • QA
B3-M4 (Audio Feed) (IRC Logs)
Discussions on the likely mainline kernel version and appropriate kernel flavors for 13.04.

Participants:
attending amscanne (Adin Scannell)
attending apw (Andy Whitcroft)
attending ben-collins (Ben Collins)
attending diwic (David Henningsson)
attending gilir (Julien Lavergne)
attending ikepanhc (Ike Panhc)
attending jsalisbury (Joseph Salisbury)
attending leannogasawara (Leann Ogasawara)
attending marrusl (Mark Russell)
attending narindergupta (Narinder Gupta)
attending r-herring (Rob Herring)
attending sforshee (Seth Forshee)
attending zequence (Kaj Ailomaa)

Tracks:
  • Hardware
B3-M6 (Audio Feed) (IRC Logs) Go to Blueprint
LibreOffice has an extensive testing infra. To make our testing valuable for them we need to integrate with existing solutions: http://tinderbox.libreoffice.org/MASTER/status.html http://ostrovsky.org/how-gerrit-fits-in-libreoffice-ci-infrastructure/ http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/contrib/buildbot/tree/ http://conference.libreoffice.org/program/wednesday-third-track/gerrit-for-libreoffice This session is to evaluate: - what we can do - what upstream plans to do - how this all is scheduled - what can be achieved for this cycle - what we can do in the long term In the discussion we should involve from upstream: David Ostrovsky and Norbert Thiebaud early on. They did a lot already to push this forward upstream. I will hope they might join via IRC.

Participants:
attending bjoern-michaelsen (Björn Michaelsen)
attending jibel (Jean-Baptiste Lallement)
attending nobuto (Nobuto MURATA)
attending nskaggs (Nicholas Skaggs)
attending pgraner (Pete Graner)
attending seb128 (Sebastien Bacher)

Tracks:
  • Desktop
B3-M7 (Audio Feed) (IRC Logs) Go to Blueprint
How do I know my code is not consuming too much power

Participants:
attending achiang (Alex Chiang)
attending ayrton (Ayrton Araújo)
attending benjaoming (Benjamin Bach)
attending daker (Adnane Belmadiaf)
attending drussell (Dave Russell)
attending heikki-a-keranen (Heikki Keränen)
attending hrw (Marcin Juszkiewicz)
attending jpakkane (Jussi Pakkanen)
attending kokoto-java (George Karavasilev)
attending mfisch (Matt Fischer)
attending mikalstill (Michael Still)
attending pgraner (Pete Graner)
attending raof (Chris Halse Rogers)
attending sconklin (Steve Conklin)
attending stolowski (Pawel Stolowski)
attending tgm4883 (Thomas Mashos)
attending vorlon (Steve Langasek)
B4-M5 (Audio Feed) (IRC Logs)
Figure out the road to start doing UI testing with Autopilot in Ubuntu Engineering.

Participants:
attending ajmitch (Andrew Mitchell)
attending albertomilone (Alberto Milone)
attending allanlesage (Allan LeSage)
attending apulido (Ara Pulido)
attending bernd-sch (Bernd Schlapsi)
attending brendan-donegan (Brendan Donegan)
attending carla-sella (Carla Sella)
attending chris.gagnon (Chris Gagnon)
attending cjohnston (Chris Johnston)
attending fginther (Francis Ginther)
attending gema (Gema Gomez)
attending hggdh2 (C de-Avillez)
attending hzliu123 (Hao-Ran Liu)
attending javier.collado (Javier Collado)
attending jibel (Jean-Baptiste Lallement)
attending mrazik (Martin Mrazik)
attending nick-dedekind (Nick Dedekind)
attending nskaggs (Nicholas Skaggs)
attending om26er (Omer Akram)
attending ove-risberg (Ove Risberg)
attending pgraner (Pete Graner)
attending pitti (Martin Pitt)
attending psivaa (Parameswaran Sivatharman)
attending pwlars (Paul Larson)
attending rick-rickspencer3 (Rick Spencer)
attending roadmr (Daniel Manrique)
attending rsalveti (Ricardo Salveti)
attending samvh (Samuel Van Hecken)
attending sergiusens (Sergio Schvezov)
attending sil (Stuart Langridge)
attending themuso (Luke Yelavich)
attending thomir (Thomi Richards)
attending timo-jyrinki (Timo Jyrinki)
attending veebers (Christopher Lee)
attending vrruiz (Víctor R. Ruiz)
attending xnox (Dimitri John Ledkov)

Tracks:
  • QA
B4-M7 (Audio Feed) (IRC Logs) Go to Blueprint
11:00 - 11:55 CET

Participants:
attending ballock (Bolesław Tokarski)
attending javier.collado (Javier Collado)
attending joetalbott (Joe Talbott)
attending josephjamesmills (Joseph Mills)
attending nuclearbob (Max Brustkern)
attending utlemming (Ben Howard)
attending veebers (Christopher Lee)

Tracks:
  • QA
B3-M4 (Audio Feed) (IRC Logs)
Define the deployment and maintenance process, instructions, and scripts for the Ubuntu Accomplishments verification service and Web Gallery

Participants:
attending ballock (Bolesław Tokarski)
attending cprofitt (Charles Profitt)
attending jose (José Antonio Rey Cama)
attending mhall119 (Michael Hall)
attending rafalcieslak256 (Rafal Cieślak)
attending soeren-b-c (Søren Bredlund Caspersen)

Tracks:
  • Community
B3-M1 (Audio Feed) (IRC Logs) Go to Blueprint
Not Attending Libvirt work for R ( Cloud & Server )
libvirt is the preferred virtualization management solution in Ubuntu.

Participants:
attending amscanne (Adin Scannell)
attending ben-collins (Ben Collins)
attending chaltain (Christopher Chaltain)
attending dunlapg (GeorgeDunlap)
attending ghe.rivero (Ghe Rivero)
attending ijc (Ian Campbell)
attending james-page (James james.page@canonical.com)
attending jdstrand (Jamie Strandboge)
attending koolhead17 (koolhead17)
attending louis-bouchard (Louis Bouchard)
attending marrusl (Mark Russell)
attending mikalstill (Michael Still)
attending narindergupta (Narinder Gupta)
attending nobuto (Nobuto MURATA)
attending petermatulis (Peter Matulis)
attending r-herring (Rob Herring)
attending sam-juvonen (Sam Juvonen)
attending serge-hallyn (Serge Hallyn)
attending stefan-bader-canonical (Stefan Bader)
attending tmt (Jussi Kekkonen)

Tracks:
  • Cloud & Server
B3-M10 (Audio Feed) (IRC Logs) Go to Blueprint
NOTE: This has no relation to the current Weather Report :-) Create a realtime report that will convene the 'quality' of the ubuntu archive at any point during the development cycle. Summaries from manual and automated testing should be included, as well as pending releases and manually targetted ares to focus.

Participants:
attending carla-sella (Carla Sella)
attending cjohnston (Chris Johnston)
attending fginther (Francis Ginther)
attending gema (Gema Gomez)
attending joetalbott (Joe Talbott)
attending mahmoh (M.Morana)
attending mpt (Matthew Paul Thomas)
attending nskaggs (Nicholas Skaggs)
attending pwlars (Paul Larson)
attending sa2ajj (Mikhail Sobolev)
attending veebers (Christopher Lee)

Tracks:
  • QA
B3-M3 (Audio Feed) (IRC Logs) Go to Blueprint
To support the appdev initiative, a new declarative format is wanted, representing the subset of capabilities that third-party apps are allowed to opt into. These declarative files should be converted to apparmor profiles at package build time. Specify a new tool that implements this in idiomatic debhelper fashion.

Participants:
attending dpm (David Planella)
attending jdstrand (Jamie Strandboge)
attending kate.stewart (Kate Stewart)
attending nobuto (Nobuto MURATA)
attending sbeattie (Steve Beattie)
(required) stgraber (Stéphane Graber)
attending xnox (Dimitri John Ledkov)

Tracks:
  • Foundations
B3-M5 (Audio Feed) (IRC Logs) Go to Blueprint
LibreOffice upstream is now almost fully migrated to gbuild. This would allow us to do real partial builds of LibreOffice, with split source packages. There are advantages and disadvantages to such an approach. Disadvantages: - More source packages mean more package handling as with an upstream release more source packages need to be build and tested - testing: most tests require a full libreoffice installation, thus a partial source package cant be tested completely during its build, thus these packages need to be staged in -proposed. Advantages: - Bugfixes would be possible without full rebuilds - Updates can be done without pushing a all libreoffice packages again to all users - Faster build times as some parts of libreoffice can be build on multiple builds in parallel - Filesystem limitations on e.g. PPA builders would not hurt us that hard anymore (as the biggest part of the fs-use is objects and dependencies) And initial proposal would be to have the following eight source packages: - libreoffice-dev-internal: libreoffice headers - libreoffice-core: ure and core libraries - libreoffice-writer, libreoffice-calc, libreoffice-base, libreoffice-impress: applications (impress includes draw, writer includes math) -- these could then build in parallel - libreoffice-l10n: localization - libreoffice-common: all the misc. bits and pieces. And yes, this would require a rewrite of the LibreOffice packaging from scratch -- but that might also simplify things a lot.

Participants:
attending bdrung (Benjamin Drung)
attending bjoern-michaelsen (Björn Michaelsen)
attending doko (Matthias Klose)
attending jibel (Jean-Baptiste Lallement)
attending nobuto (Nobuto MURATA)
attending pitti (Martin Pitt)
attending primes2h (Sergio Zanchetta)
attending seb128 (Sebastien Bacher)
attending zack-debian (Stefano Zacchiroli)

Tracks:
  • Desktop
B3-M6 (Audio Feed) (IRC Logs) Go to Blueprint
The Design Theatre is a format by which the Design Team collaborates with community members to make their app/software shine! The Design Theatre is for everybody: developers who come to the Theatre seeking design input for their software and who are ready and willing to present the design issues they have encountered; and spectators who just want to watch and learn about design thinking and problem solving. Participants will present their work for 5 minutes and together with the design team we'll walk through the steps of design thinking and problem solving to come up with interesting directions or next steps for the software.

Participants:
attending ajenbo (AJenbo)
attending ayrton (Ayrton Araújo)
attending bdrung (Benjamin Drung)
attending bernd-sch (Bernd Schlapsi)
attending charlesk (Charles Kerr)
attending daker (Adnane Belmadiaf)
attending davidc3 (David Callé)
attending elle.uca (Luca Ferretti)
attending josephjamesmills (Joseph Mills)
attending kokoto-java (George Karavasilev)
attending ncli (Nicholas Christian Langkjær Ipsen)
attending primes2h (Sergio Zanchetta)
attending rafalcieslak256 (Rafal Cieślak)
attending randall (Randall Ross (rrnwexec))
attending soren-bronsted (Søren Brønsted)
attending tgm4883 (Thomas Mashos)
attending thp (Thomas Perl)
attending tiagohillebrandt (Tiago Hillebrandt)

Tracks:
  • Design
B3-M7 (Audio Feed) (IRC Logs)
Charm Schools and so on.

Participants:
attending bkerensa (Benjamin Kerensa)
attending cjohnston (Chris Johnston)
attending clint-fewbar (Clint Byrum)
attending david-duffey (David Duffey)
attending dweaver (Darryl Weaver)
attending fenris (Khairul Aizat Kamarudzzaman)
attending hatocorp (Jacob Okoniewski)
attending itnet7 (Chris Crisafulli)
attending jimbaker (Jim Baker)
attending jorge (Jorge Castro)
attending kaja (Kaja Podlaska Christiansen)
attending kamil-zwyrtek (Kamil Zwyrtek)
attending koolhead17 (koolhead17)
attending marcoceppi (Marco Ceppi)
attending mikalstill (Michael Still)
attending mike-mcclurg (Mike McClurg)
attending negronjl (Juan L. Negron)
attending nobuto (Nobuto MURATA)
attending ove-risberg (Ove Risberg)
attending pertinent (Kevin Metz)
attending sam-juvonen (Sam Juvonen)
attending saviq (Michał Sawicz)
attending stefano-palazzo (Stefano Palazzo)
attending thorsten-rhau (Thorsten Rhau)
attending thusbands (Terry Husbands)

Tracks:
  • Community
B4-M5 (Audio Feed) (IRC Logs) Go to Blueprint
Not Attending MAAS next steps ( Cloud & Server )
In this session we will discuss: * New features for MAAS this cycle. * Bug fixing.

Participants:
attending allenap (Gavin Panella)
attending ameetp (Ameet Paranjape)
attending andreserl (Andres Rodriguez)
attending chihchun (Rex Tsai)
attending chris.gagnon (Chris Gagnon)
attending craig.magina (Craig Magina)
attending drussell (Dave Russell)
attending gema (Gema Gomez)
attending hardik-dalwadi (Hardik Dalwadi)
attending jameinel (John A Meinel)
attending jjo (JuanJo Ciarlante)
attending julian-edwards (Julian Edwards)
attending larry-e-works (Larry E Works)
attending louis-bouchard (Louis Bouchard)
attending marrusl (Mark Russell)
attending milner (Mike Milner)
attending negronjl (Juan L. Negron)
attending nobuto (Nobuto MURATA)
attending pertinent (Kevin Metz)
attending racb (Robie Basak)
attending roadmr (Daniel Manrique)
attending rvb (Raphaël Badin)
attending smoser (Scott Moser)
attending ttx (Thierry Carrez)

Tracks:
  • Cloud & Server
B4-M6 (Audio Feed) (IRC Logs) Go to Blueprint
Finding ways to speed up the review process for patches submitted to paper cuts. Slow review of patches that new contributors have submitted can be demoralizing and put them off further contributions. We need to speed up this process, both in Ubuntu and upstream in Gnome and Debian.

Participants:
attending bryce (Bryce Harrington)
attending dholbach (Daniel Holbach)
attending evfool (Robert Roth)
attending kate.stewart (Kate Stewart)
attending ubuntu-extra (Gunnar Hjalmarsson)
B4-M7 (Audio Feed) (IRC Logs) Go to Blueprint
12:00 - 13:00 CET
Have a python package that needs ported from Python2 to Python3? Come to this session to learn how

Participants:
attending allanlesage (Allan LeSage)
attending allison (Allison Randal)
attending ayrton (Ayrton Araújo)
(required) barry (Barry Warsaw)
attending bdrung (Benjamin Drung)
attending benjaoming (Benjamin Bach)
attending doko (Matthias Klose)
attending dooferlad (James Tunnicliffe)
attending fginther (Francis Ginther)
attending glatzor (Sebastian Heinlein)
attending gz (Martin Packman)
attending kaja (Kaja Podlaska Christiansen)
attending kate.stewart (Kate Stewart)
attending kitterman (Scott Kitterman)
attending nobuto (Nobuto MURATA)
attending nullable (Teo Klestrup Röijezon)
attending paulliu (Ying-Chun Liu)
attending rackham (Mário Ferreira)
attending saviq (Michał Sawicz)
attending stevanr (Stevan Radaković)
attending tgm4883 (Thomas Mashos)
attending till-kamppeter (Till Kamppeter)
(required) vorlon (Steve Langasek)
attending zack-debian (Stefano Zacchiroli)

Tracks:
  • Foundations
B3-M1 (Audio Feed) (IRC Logs)
The Ubuntu archive is full of exciting GL games. Many of these games are likely runnning fine on arm if they are built with the right flags to enable GLES support. We are looking for community members to assemble a list of possible candiates for this, submit package fixes and get them sponsored into the archive by an Ubuntu dev. During the session a plan should be assembled on how to handle this task in detail (blog posts to generate interest, some kind of leadership to coordinate the effort etc)

Participants:
attending evfool (Robert Roth)
attending marrusl (Mark Russell)
attending ogra (Oliver Grawert)
attending rsalveti (Ricardo Salveti)
attending thp (Thomas Perl)
attending xranby (Xerxes Rånby)

Tracks:
  • Desktop
B3-M10 (Audio Feed) (IRC Logs) Go to Blueprint
Review ARB activity, and plan for the next cycle. Introducing new members.

Participants:
attending ajmitch (Andrew Mitchell)
attending allison (Allison Randal)
attending andrewsomething (Andrew Starr-Bochicchio)
attending bhavi (Bhavani Shankar)
attending czajkowski (Laura Czajkowski)
attending dpm (David Planella)
attending elle.uca (Luca Ferretti)
attending lyz (Elizabeth K. Joseph)
attending rafalcieslak256 (Rafal Cieślak)
attending stefanor (Stefano Rivera)

Tracks:
  • App Development
B3-M2 (Audio Feed) (IRC Logs) Go to Blueprint
General packaging blueprint for LibreOffice 3.7 on Ubuntu R

Participants:
attending bjoern-michaelsen (Björn Michaelsen)
attending fitoschido (Adolfo Jayme)
attending jan-catalin (Jan Catalin)
attending jibel (Jean-Baptiste Lallement)
attending nobuto (Nobuto MURATA)
attending seb128 (Sebastien Bacher)

Tracks:
  • Desktop
B3-M3 (Audio Feed) (IRC Logs) Go to Blueprint
Things to fix for 13.04 in lp:charmworld, including addition of charm ratings to the UI. -Discuss adding any possible usage statistics -Discuss adding provider testing status Rationale: Goal:

Participants:
attending abentley (Aaron Bentley)
attending bac (Brad Crittenden)
attending benji (Benji York)
attending clint-fewbar (Clint Byrum)
attending deryck (Deryck Hodge)
attending frankban (Francesco Banconi)
attending gary (Gary Poster)
attending hatocorp (Jacob Okoniewski)
attending hazmat (Kapil Thangavelu)
attending jimbaker (Jim Baker)
attending jjo (JuanJo Ciarlante)
attending jovan-ljubojevic (Jovan Ljubojevic)
attending koolhead17 (koolhead17)
attending makyo (Matthew Scott)
attending marcoceppi (Marco Ceppi)
attending negronjl (Juan L. Negron)
attending nijaba (Nick Barcet)
attending nobuto (Nobuto MURATA)
attending ove-risberg (Ove Risberg)
attending schwuk (David Murphy)
attending stefano-palazzo (Stefano Palazzo)

Tracks:
  • Cloud & Server
B3-M4 (Audio Feed) (IRC Logs) Go to Blueprint

Participants:
attending ajmitch (Andrew Mitchell)
attending albertomilone (Alberto Milone)
attending allanlesage (Allan LeSage)
attending ayrton (Ayrton Araújo)
attending bernd-sch (Bernd Schlapsi)
attending chris.gagnon (Chris Gagnon)
attending fginther (Francis Ginther)
attending javier.collado (Javier Collado)
attending joetalbott (Joe Talbott)
attending mrazik (Martin Mrazik)
attending nick-dedekind (Nick Dedekind)
attending ove-risberg (Ove Risberg)
attending pwlars (Paul Larson)
attending roadmr (Daniel Manrique)
attending soren-bronsted (Søren Brønsted)
attending thomir (Thomi Richards)
attending veebers (Christopher Lee)
attending vrruiz (Víctor R. Ruiz)

Tracks:
  • QA
B3-M5 (Audio Feed) (IRC Logs)
Discuss state of Juju charms for deploying OpenStack. TODOs: - Quantum - SSL everywhere - HAproxy support for API server scale out and HA - HA rabbitmq and mysql - Nova compute live migration

Participants:
attending craig.magina (Craig Magina)
attending gandelman-a (Adam Gandelman)
attending jimbaker (Jim Baker)
attending mikalstill (Michael Still)
attending sam-juvonen (Sam Juvonen)

Tracks:
  • Cloud & Server
B3-M6 (Audio Feed) (IRC Logs) Go to Blueprint
Specific discussions surrounding kernel flavour selection and maintenance on ARM reference hardware for the Raring cycle

Participants:
attending achiang (Alex Chiang)
attending apw (Andy Whitcroft)
attending hggdh2 (C de-Avillez)
attending hrw (Marcin Juszkiewicz)
attending ikepanhc (Ike Panhc)
attending jm-leddy (James M. Leddy)
attending leannogasawara (Leann Ogasawara)
attending mariusko (Marius B. Kotsbak)
attending narindergupta (Narinder Gupta)
attending r-herring (Rob Herring)
attending rsalveti (Ricardo Salveti)
attending sforshee (Seth Forshee)
attending steve-mcintyre (Steve McIntyre)
attending utlemming (Ben Howard)
attending vanhoof (Chris Van Hoof)

Tracks:
  • Hardware
B3-M7 (Audio Feed) (IRC Logs) Go to Blueprint
Not Attending Proxy support ( Desktop )
We started discussing proxy support in Ubuntu last cycle [1]. Keeping in line and expanding on that discussion (and really, taking back some of the work items from there), we should spend some time working with upstream NetworkManager to properly fold in proxy into NetworkManager connections for the desktop. Per-connection proxy support has been in TODO/roadmap for NetworkManager for a little while now; I think we'd benefit from seeing this to completion. Basically, this would mean: - Adding the necessary sections in NM config files for connections to describe proxy settings. - Moving/reworking proxy code elsewhere in GNOME to a "proxy manager" in NetworkManager. - Adding the necessary UI bits to nm-applet, as an extra tab for connections. - Testing, testing, testing. Proxy settings tend to be highly location-dependant, which is why it makes sense to tie them to connections, which also change depending on where a computer is located. This would make the life of mobile workers easier, since they could use a proxy automatically when logged in to their "work" wifi connections, and disabling it automatically when they go home... We should also more generally discuss the current state of proxy support in Ubuntu and what has improved from last cycle, the next steps. etc. In line with testing and with the documentation I started [2], we may also want to spend time setting up the necessary infrastructure for testing proxy support automatically. [1] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/desktop-q-full-proxy-support [2] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Testing/Proxy

Participants:
attending davidc3 (David Callé)
attending gilir (Julien Lavergne)
attending ken-vandine (Ken VanDine)
attending mathieu-tl (Mathieu Trudel-Lapierre)
attending mpt (Matthew Paul Thomas)
attending mvo (Michael Vogt)
attending ncli (Nicholas Christian Langkjær Ipsen)
attending nobuto (Nobuto MURATA)
attending rafalcieslak256 (Rafal Cieślak)
attending robru (♫ Robert Bruce Park ♫)
attending stefanor (Stefano Rivera)
attending thorsten-rhau (Thorsten Rhau)

Tracks:
  • Desktop
B3-M8 (Audio Feed) (IRC Logs) Go to Blueprint
How do I write a test and get the test into the test suite

Participants:
attending allanlesage (Allan LeSage)
attending amscanne (Adin Scannell)
attending ayrton (Ayrton Araújo)
attending bdrung (Benjamin Drung)
attending bladernr (Jeff Lane)
attending davidc3 (David Callé)
attending gema (Gema Gomez)
attending markjtully (Mark Tully)
attending pgraner (Pete Graner)
attending pwlars (Paul Larson)
attending roadmr (Daniel Manrique)
attending tgm4883 (Thomas Mashos)
attending zequence (Kaj Ailomaa)
B4-M5 (Audio Feed) (IRC Logs)
UEFI fastboot is so fast that there's no opportunity for the user to interrupt it to get to the firmware (nee BIOS) configuration; the only way to get to the firmware configuration is for the OS or bootloader to set a flag in nvram and then reboot. We need to sort out what the UI for doing this should be. We probably want to support doing this from the bootloader menu (so that if the OS fails to boot you can still recover). We may also want to support doing this from the shutdown menu, in case the bootloader menu is inaccessible (e.g., on a touchscreen-only device?) and/or for a better UI experience.

Participants:
attending anthonywong (Anthony Wong)
attending bladernr (Jeff Lane)
attending carla-sella (Carla Sella)
(required) cjwatson (Colin Watson)
attending hzliu123 (Hao-Ran Liu)
attending ivan.hu (Ivan Hu)
attending jamesodhunt (James Hunt)
(required) jk-ozlabs (Jeremy Kerr)
attending kate.stewart (Kate Stewart)
attending kokoto-java (George Karavasilev)
attending laney (Iain iain@orangesquash.org.uk)
attending lexical (Keng-Yü Lin)
(required) mpt (Matthew Paul Thomas)
attending nobuto (Nobuto MURATA)
attending smagoun (Steve Magoun)
attending stgraber (Stéphane Graber)
attending ted (Ted Gould)
attending tjaalton (Timo Aaltonen)
attending vanhoof (Chris Van Hoof)
attending vorlon (Steve Langasek)
attending xnox (Dimitri John Ledkov)

Tracks:
  • Foundations
B4-M6 (Audio Feed) (IRC Logs) Go to Blueprint
We reviewed the patches in some of ours packages during the session and took action items on what to do to reduce that stack

Participants:
attending apw (Andy Whitcroft)
attending attente (William Hua)
attending chrisccoulson (Chris Coulson)
attending cmiller (Chad Miller)
attending darkxst (Tim)
attending desrt (Ryan Lortie)
attending diwic (David Henningsson)
attending einonm (Mark Einon)
attending jbicha (Jeremy Bicha)
attending ken-vandine (Ken VanDine)
attending laney (Iain iain@orangesquash.org.uk)
attending mardy (Alberto Mardegan)
attending mariusko (Marius B. Kotsbak)
attending mathieu-tl (Mathieu Trudel-Lapierre)
attending mterry (Michael Terry)
attending nobuto (Nobuto MURATA)
attending seb128 (Sebastien Bacher)
attending shroudedcloud (Jonathan Meek)
attending stefanor (Stefano Rivera)
attending steveriley (Steve Riley)
attending themuso (Luke Yelavich)
attending ursinha (Ursula Junque)
attending vorlon (Steve Langasek)
attending zack-debian (Stefano Zacchiroli)
attending zilvador (Daniel Ejsing-Duun)

Tracks:
  • Desktop
B4-M7 (Audio Feed) (IRC Logs) Go to Blueprint
13:00 - 14:00 CET
Lunch
14:00 - 14:15 CET [PLENARY]

Participants:
attending ajenbo (AJenbo)
attending bladernr (Jeff Lane)
attending chaltain (Christopher Chaltain)
attending christopherarges (Chris J Arges)
attending dante (Dante Díaz)
attending gary (Gary Poster)
attending hatocorp (Jacob Okoniewski)
attending itnet7 (Chris Crisafulli)
attending jose (José Antonio Rey Cama)
attending kaja (Kaja Podlaska Christiansen)
attending knome (Pasi Lallinaho)
attending quintasan (Michał Zając)
attending rafalcieslak256 (Rafal Cieślak)
attending randall (Randall Ross (rrnwexec))
attending soeren-b-c (Søren Bredlund Caspersen)
attending steveriley (Steve Riley)
attending thp (Thomas Perl)
attending tmt (Jussi Kekkonen)
attending zequence (Kaj Ailomaa)
attending zilvador (Daniel Ejsing-Duun)
Auditorium 10+11
14:15 - 14:30 CET [PLENARY]

Participants:
attending ajenbo (AJenbo)
attending bladernr (Jeff Lane)
attending chaltain (Christopher Chaltain)
attending christopherarges (Chris J Arges)
attending dante (Dante Díaz)
attending gary (Gary Poster)
attending hatocorp (Jacob Okoniewski)
attending itnet7 (Chris Crisafulli)
attending jose (José Antonio Rey Cama)
attending kaja (Kaja Podlaska Christiansen)
attending knome (Pasi Lallinaho)
attending quintasan (Michał Zając)
attending rafalcieslak256 (Rafal Cieślak)
attending randall (Randall Ross (rrnwexec))
attending soeren-b-c (Søren Bredlund Caspersen)
attending steveriley (Steve Riley)
attending thp (Thomas Perl)
attending tmt (Jussi Kekkonen)
attending zequence (Kaj Ailomaa)
attending zilvador (Daniel Ejsing-Duun)
Auditorium 10+11
14:30 - 14:45 CET [PLENARY]

Participants:
attending ajenbo (AJenbo)
attending bladernr (Jeff Lane)
attending chaltain (Christopher Chaltain)
attending christopherarges (Chris J Arges)
attending dante (Dante Díaz)
attending gary (Gary Poster)
attending hatocorp (Jacob Okoniewski)
attending itnet7 (Chris Crisafulli)
attending jjo (JuanJo Ciarlante)
attending jose (José Antonio Rey Cama)
attending kaja (Kaja Podlaska Christiansen)
attending ncli (Nicholas Christian Langkjær Ipsen)
attending rafalcieslak256 (Rafal Cieślak)
attending randall (Randall Ross (rrnwexec))
attending samvh (Samuel Van Hecken)
attending steveriley (Steve Riley)
attending zilvador (Daniel Ejsing-Duun)
Auditorium 10+11
14:45 - 15:00 CET [PLENARY]

Participants:
attending ajenbo (AJenbo)
attending ayrton (Ayrton Araújo)
attending bac (Brad Crittenden)
attending bhavi (Bhavani Shankar)
attending bladernr (Jeff Lane)
attending chaltain (Christopher Chaltain)
attending charlesk (Charles Kerr)
attending christopherarges (Chris J Arges)
attending daker (Adnane Belmadiaf)
attending dante (Dante Díaz)
attending dweaver (Darryl Weaver)
attending gary (Gary Poster)
attending hatocorp (Jacob Okoniewski)
attending hrw (Marcin Juszkiewicz)
attending itnet7 (Chris Crisafulli)
attending it-oas (Michael Zaugg)
attending jose (José Antonio Rey Cama)
attending kaja (Kaja Podlaska Christiansen)
attending nijaba (Nick Barcet)
attending nuclearbob (Max Brustkern)
attending pederm (Peder Madsen)
attending quintasan (Michał Zając)
attending rafalcieslak256 (Rafal Cieślak)
attending randall (Randall Ross (rrnwexec))
attending soeren-b-c (Søren Bredlund Caspersen)
attending steveriley (Steve Riley)
attending tmt (Jussi Kekkonen)
attending vanvugt (Daniel van Vugt)
attending xranby (Xerxes Rånby)
attending zequence (Kaj Ailomaa)
attending zilvador (Daniel Ejsing-Duun)
Auditorium 10+11
15:00 - 16:00 CET
Discuss design change proposals, evaluate WebKit vs. low-level Gtk, additional trophy images and more

Participants:
attending doctormo (Martin Owens)
attending kokoto-java (George Karavasilev)
attending mhall119 (Michael Hall)
attending rafalcieslak256 (Rafal Cieślak)
attending randall (Randall Ross (rrnwexec))
attending soeren-b-c (Søren Bredlund Caspersen)

Tracks:
  • Community
B3-M1 (Audio Feed) (IRC Logs) Go to Blueprint
Not Attending LXC work for R ( Cloud & Server )
lxc is the chosen lightweight (linux-guest-only) virtualization platform on Ubuntu.

Participants:
attending ahasenack (Andreas Hasenack)
attending allenap (Gavin Panella)
attending apw (Andy Whitcroft)
attending bladernr (Jeff Lane)
attending chaltain (Christopher Chaltain)
attending craig.magina (Craig Magina)
attending davidpbritton (David Britton)
attending ghe.rivero (Ghe Rivero)
attending james-page (James james.page@canonical.com)
attending jdstrand (Jamie Strandboge)
attending jibel (Jean-Baptiste Lallement)
attending jimbaker (Jim Baker)
attending jjo (JuanJo Ciarlante)
attending joetalbott (Joe Talbott)
attending jonathan (Jonathan Carter)
attending koolhead17 (koolhead17)
attending louis-bouchard (Louis Bouchard)
attending marrusl (Mark Russell)
attending mikalstill (Michael Still)
attending mordred (Monty Taylor)
attending nobuto (Nobuto MURATA)
attending petermatulis (Peter Matulis)
attending r-herring (Rob Herring)
attending serge-hallyn (Serge Hallyn)
attending smoser (Scott Moser)
attending stefan-bader-canonical (Stefan Bader)
attending stgraber (Stéphane Graber)
attending utlemming (Ben Howard)

Tracks:
  • Cloud & Server
B3-M10 (Audio Feed) (IRC Logs) Go to Blueprint
Using more than one computer, often it would be useful to have a way to synchronize settings among multiple computers. For example you change the desktop wallpaper on your office PC and you want to find the same wallpaper when you go back home on your personal PC or on your laptop. Language settings, online accounts, privacy settings ecc... are only few examples of settings you could want to have synchronized.

Participants:
attending 3v1n0 (Marco Trevisan (Treviño))
attending ajenbo (AJenbo)
attending andreagrandi (Andrea Grandi)
attending ballock (Bolesław Tokarski)
attending barry (Barry Warsaw)
attending carla-sella (Carla Sella)
attending dante (Dante Díaz)
attending davidc3 (David Callé)
attending fenris (Khairul Aizat Kamarudzzaman)
attending gilir (Julien Lavergne)
attending hatocorp (Jacob Okoniewski)
attending hrw (Marcin Juszkiewicz)
attending hzliu123 (Hao-Ran Liu)
attending joey-elijah (Joey-Elijah Sneddon)
attending kaja (Kaja Podlaska Christiansen)
attending kamil-zwyrtek (Kamil Zwyrtek)
attending kate.stewart (Kate Stewart)
attending ken-vandine (Ken VanDine)
attending laney (Iain iain@orangesquash.org.uk)
attending mardy (Alberto Mardegan)
attending mariusko (Marius B. Kotsbak)
attending marrusl (Mark Russell)
attending mathieu-tl (Mathieu Trudel-Lapierre)
attending nobuto (Nobuto MURATA)
attending ove-risberg (Ove Risberg)
attending primes2h (Sergio Zanchetta)
attending rafalcieslak256 (Rafal Cieślak)
attending raof (Chris Halse Rogers)
attending shroudedcloud (Jonathan Meek)
attending sil (Stuart Langridge)
attending soeren-b-c (Søren Bredlund Caspersen)
attending tgm4883 (Thomas Mashos)
attending themuso (Luke Yelavich)
attending tmt (Jussi Kekkonen)
attending zequence (Kaj Ailomaa)

Tracks:
  • Desktop
B3-M2 (Audio Feed) (IRC Logs) Go to Blueprint
Organize a contest to increase the number of high-quality tutorials present on the app developer site

Participants:
attending bernd-sch (Bernd Schlapsi)
attending dpm (David Planella)
attending mohanchml (mohi)
attending tgm4883 (Thomas Mashos)
attending thp (Thomas Perl)

Tracks:
  • App Development
B3-M3 (Audio Feed) (IRC Logs) Go to Blueprint
Secure your Ubuntu SSO account with 2-factor authentication! Get help setting up and using your *new* YubiKey (or Android/iOS smartphone!) to add an extra layer of security to your Ubuntu SSO account. Come to the workshop sessions and help us out making Ubuntu SSO more secure for you and everybody else.

Participants:
attending ayrton (Ayrton Araújo)
attending ballock (Bolesław Tokarski)
attending narindergupta (Narinder Gupta)
attending paulliu (Ying-Chun Liu)
attending ricardokirkner (Ricardo Kirkner)
attending sam-juvonen (Sam Juvonen)

Tracks:
  • Other
B3-M5 (Audio Feed) (IRC Logs)
Did you always want to get involved with Ubuntu Development but don't know where to start? Perfect! We want you to help us test our documentation. No experience necessary, you just need to have a working (not too old) Ubuntu installation.

Participants:
attending a.rosales (Antonio Rosales)
attending attente (William Hua)
attending ayrton (Ayrton Araújo)
attending bac (Brad Crittenden)
attending ballock (Bolesław Tokarski)
attending bdrung (Benjamin Drung)
attending benjaoming (Benjamin Bach)
attending bhavi (Bhavani Shankar)
attending chilicuil (Javier chilicuil)
attending chris-top (Chris Topaloudis)
attending dholbach (Daniel Holbach)
attending gary (Gary Poster)
attending itnet7 (Chris Crisafulli)
attending it-oas (Michael Zaugg)
attending josephjamesmills (Joseph Mills)
attending kate.stewart (Kate Stewart)
attending kelemeng (Gabor Kelemen)
attending koolhead17 (koolhead17)
attending mariusko (Marius B. Kotsbak)
attending narindergupta (Narinder Gupta)
attending nuclearbob (Max Brustkern)
attending nullable (Teo Klestrup Röijezon)
attending quintasan (Michał Zając)
attending sergiomeneses (Sergio Meneses)
attending soren-bronsted (Søren Brønsted)
attending stefanor (Stefano Rivera)
attending steveriley (Steve Riley)
attending susebeek (Marten Susebeek)
attending tmt (Jussi Kekkonen)
attending zack-debian (Stefano Zacchiroli)
attending zequence (Kaj Ailomaa)

Tracks:
  • Community
B3-M6 (Audio Feed) (IRC Logs)
We're going to use the hour to introduce people to the error tracker codebase. We'll help you set up a private instance of the error tracker using juju, then trigger a crash and walk through each part of the system as its processed and displayed on errors.ubuntu.com. An explanation of how the Cassandra database works will be given, as well as for d3.js and each of the libraries we use to build the site. The process for deploying changes to production will be discussed. We'll cover what work is going to be done in 13.04 and divy it up at the end. We'll also take general questions about the error tracker and solicit suggestions for improvement.

Participants:
attending adam-stokes (Adam Stokes)
(required) ayrton (Ayrton Araújo)
(required) brian-murray (Brian Murray)
attending carla-sella (Carla Sella)
attending christopherarges (Chris J Arges)
(required) ev (Evan Dandrea)
(required) mpt (Matthew Paul Thomas)
attending nskaggs (Nicholas Skaggs)

Tracks:
  • Foundations
B3-M7 (Audio Feed) (IRC Logs)
At this point, only yaboot and grub2-ieee1275 are supported as Power Architecture boot-loaders. Many new, non-IBM systems do not have any sort of OpenFirmware (ieee1275) component and so the boot-loaders are more bare (u-boot). One known system has actually built-in a grub into the BIOS and reads directly from /boot/grub/grub.cfg. Discussion is needed on best practices for hardware vendors and possible work on a more generic grub2 for PowerPC, which wont rely on OpenFirmware hooks being present.

Participants:
attending adconrad (Adam Conrad)
attending apw (Andy Whitcroft)
(required) ben-collins (Ben Collins)
attending cjwatson (Colin Watson)
attending gilir (Julien Lavergne)
attending kate.stewart (Kate Stewart)
(required) steve-mcintyre (Steve McIntyre)
attending xnox (Dimitri John Ledkov)

Tracks:
  • Foundations
B3-M8 (Audio Feed) (IRC Logs) Go to Blueprint
Discuss existing smoke testing and agree on what needs to be added as a matter of priority during the cycle.

Participants:
attending bjoern-michaelsen (Björn Michaelsen)
attending gema (Gema Gomez)
attending hggdh2 (C de-Avillez)
attending jamesodhunt (James Hunt)
attending javier.collado (Javier Collado)
attending jibel (Jean-Baptiste Lallement)
attending joetalbott (Joe Talbott)
attending kate.stewart (Kate Stewart)
attending nskaggs (Nicholas Skaggs)
attending nuclearbob (Max Brustkern)
attending psivaa (Parameswaran Sivatharman)
attending pwlars (Paul Larson)
attending smartboyhw (Howard Chan)
attending veebers (Christopher Lee)

Tracks:
  • QA
B4-M5 (Audio Feed) (IRC Logs) Go to Blueprint
As Ubuntu members (and contributors), we understand Ubuntu (culture, community, technology, project, etc). How can we communicate Ubuntu to others outside the project (especially journalists/media) in a way that makes things easy to understand and reduces the tendency on the non-Ubuntu-community to "get the story wrong" or to "spin" stories with a default negative bias. Let's discuss opportunities and strategies to improve how we reach the non-Ubuntu crowd.

Participants:
attending a-emma (Emma Marshall)
attending bhavi (Bhavani Shankar)
attending cprofitt (Charles Profitt)
attending dholbach (Daniel Holbach)
attending einonm (Mark Einon)
attending flavia.weisghizzi (Flavia Weisghizzi)
attending joey-elijah (Joey-Elijah Sneddon)
attending jorge (Jorge Castro)
attending joseph-liau (Joe Liau)
attending knome (Pasi Lallinaho)
attending philipballew (philipballew)
attending racb (Robie Basak)
attending randall (Randall Ross (rrnwexec))
attending soeren-b-c (Søren Bredlund Caspersen)
attending steveriley (Steve Riley)
attending tmt (Jussi Kekkonen)
attending zilvador (Daniel Ejsing-Duun)

Tracks:
  • Community
B4-M6 (Audio Feed) (IRC Logs) Go to Blueprint
The current Ubuntu Server Certified Hardware programme is a programme intended to ensure that a particular release of Ubuntu works, up to a certain level, with a specific hardware configuration. All tests in the Ubuntu Server Certified Hardware programme are hardware related, with no specific software stack tests. Some customers have been asking to create an extension of that programme that will specifically test a version of OpenStack, with a specific version of Ubuntu, running in a hardware configuration. This new programme will include new Open Stack tests and some hardware related ones for functionality that helps creating and managing a private cloud. These tests would be run on top of the Ubuntu Server Certified Hardware test suite and therefore, every server that is Ubuntu Cloud Infrastructure Ready will automatically appear in the list of Ubuntu Server Certified Hardware, specifying that the system is ready to be part of an Ubuntu Cloud Infrastructure deployment.

Participants:
attending amscanne (Adin Scannell)
attending andreserl (Andres Rodriguez)
attending apulido (Ara Pulido)
attending bladernr (Jeff Lane)
attending brendan-donegan (Brendan Donegan)
attending brunogirin (Bruno Girin)
attending chaltain (Christopher Chaltain)
attending christopherarges (Chris J Arges)
attending david-duffey (David Duffey)
attending fenris (Khairul Aizat Kamarudzzaman)
attending gandelman-a (Adam Gandelman)
attending hatocorp (Jacob Okoniewski)
attending ivoks (Ante Karamatić)
attending jimbaker (Jim Baker)
attending jk-ozlabs (Jeremy Kerr)
attending kate.stewart (Kate Stewart)
attending louis-bouchard (Louis Bouchard)
attending mahmoh (M.Morana)
attending med (David Medberry)
attending mikalstill (Michael Still)
attending mike-mcclurg (Mike McClurg)
attending narindergupta (Narinder Gupta)
attending negronjl (Juan L. Negron)
attending nijaba (Nick Barcet)
attending nobuto (Nobuto MURATA)
attending roadmr (Daniel Manrique)
attending robbiew (Robbie Williamson)
attending schwuk (David Murphy)
attending sylvain-pineau (Sylvain Pineau)
attending utlemming (Ben Howard)
attending vtuson (Victor Tuson Palau)

Tracks:
  • Cloud & Server
B4-M7 (Audio Feed) (IRC Logs) Go to Blueprint
16:15 - 17:00 CET
Not Attending Nexus7 Q&A ( Foundations )
If you have any questions about or issues with the nexus7 image, feel free to drop by to get answers

Participants:
(required) achiang (Alex Chiang)
attending adam-stokes (Adam Stokes)
attending amscanne (Adin Scannell)
attending einonm (Mark Einon)
attending ikepanhc (Ike Panhc)
attending jpakkane (Jussi Pakkanen)
attending lyz (Elizabeth K. Joseph)
attending mfisch (Matt Fischer)
attending milner (Mike Milner)
attending nobuto (Nobuto MURATA)
(required) ogra (Oliver Grawert)
attending randall (Randall Ross (rrnwexec))
attending steveriley (Steve Riley)
attending thp (Thomas Perl)
attending till-kamppeter (Till Kamppeter)
attending xnox (Dimitri John Ledkov)
attending xranby (Xerxes Rånby)
attending yingscreative (yingl)

Tracks:
  • Foundations
B3-M1 (Audio Feed) (IRC Logs)
The regular Debian Health Check. https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/community-q-debian https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/community-p-debian

Participants:
attending ajmitch (Andrew Mitchell)
attending andrewsomething (Andrew Starr-Bochicchio)
attending bdrung (Benjamin Drung)
attending bjoern-michaelsen (Björn Michaelsen)
attending hatocorp (Jacob Okoniewski)
attending itnet7 (Chris Crisafulli)
attending jonathan (Jonathan Carter)
attending kate.stewart (Kate Stewart)
attending kitterman (Scott Kitterman)
attending laney (Iain iain@orangesquash.org.uk)
attending lexical (Keng-Yü Lin)
attending mhall119 (Michael Hall)
attending paulliu (Ying-Chun Liu)
attending raof (Chris Halse Rogers)
attending riku-voipio (Riku Voipio)
attending stefanor (Stefano Rivera)
attending steve-mcintyre (Steve McIntyre)
attending timo-jyrinki (Timo Jyrinki)
attending vorlon (Steve Langasek)
attending xnox (Dimitri John Ledkov)
attending zack-debian (Stefano Zacchiroli)
attending zequence (Kaj Ailomaa)

Tracks:
  • Community
B3-M10 (Audio Feed) (IRC Logs) Go to Blueprint
Not Attending WebApps How-To ( App Development )
Ideal for web site developers. Learn about Ubuntu WebApps: how we add the new Javascript APIs in to the browser, what those APIs can do, what Unity features you get access, and most importantly of all HOW to do it. Complete with working examples.

Participants:
attending alexlauni (Alex Launi)
attending ayrton (Ayrton Araújo)
attending bac (Brad Crittenden)
attending bernd-sch (Bernd Schlapsi)
attending brianfromme (Brian Fromme)
attending carla-sella (Carla Sella)
attending charlesk (Charles Kerr)
attending daker (Adnane Belmadiaf)
attending davidc3 (David Callé)
attending dpm (David Planella)
attending fginther (Francis Ginther)
attending frankban (Francesco Banconi)
attending gary (Gary Poster)
attending ken-vandine (Ken VanDine)
attending nullable (Teo Klestrup Röijezon)
attending ove-risberg (Ove Risberg)
attending rafalcieslak256 (Rafal Cieślak)
attending robru (♫ Robert Bruce Park ♫)
attending soren-bronsted (Søren Brønsted)
attending tiagohillebrandt (Tiago Hillebrandt)
attending tiagosh (Tiago Salem Herrmann)
attending vrruiz (Víctor R. Ruiz)
attending willcooke (Will Cooke)
attending zaspire (Maxim Zaspire)

Tracks:
  • App Development
B3-M2 (Audio Feed) (IRC Logs)
Hadoop Moving apport and whoopsie to upstart inotify watches, if it's ready Team views -proposed view server-side hooks "What makes this problem interesting?" section Package installation failures, kernel oopses, application hangs, and debconf dialogs Using TPUT to speed up our most common problems calculation JMX to Graphite Staging server Nagios checks Retracer stability What do we consider a regression? Should we email/text/etc if a published binary is showing errors that it purports to fix? ... Other Error Tracker blueprints for Raring: https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/foundations-r-updates-from-crash-reports https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/foundations-r-fix-ddebs https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/foundations-r-metrics https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/foundations-r-bucketing-improvements https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/foundations-r-phased-updates

Participants:
(required) brian-murray (Brian Murray)
attending carla-sella (Carla Sella)
attending christopherarges (Chris J Arges)
(required) ev (Evan Dandrea)
attending evfool (Robert Roth)
attending fabiomarconi (Fabio Marconi)
attending jamesodhunt (James Hunt)
attending jibel (Jean-Baptiste Lallement)
attending joetalbott (Joe Talbott)
attending kate.stewart (Kate Stewart)
attending mpt (Matthew Paul Thomas)
attending nskaggs (Nicholas Skaggs)
attending roadmr (Daniel Manrique)
attending stefanor (Stefano Rivera)
attending ursinha (Ursula Junque)
attending vorlon (Steve Langasek)

Tracks:
  • Foundations
B3-M3 (Audio Feed) (IRC Logs) Go to Blueprint
Not Attending VMBuilder plans during R ( Cloud & Server )
vmbuilder was once the supported method for creating virtualization images under Ubuntu. It has now been deprecated in favor of use of cloud images and other image creation tools. 'oz' is favored as a replacement as it essentially wraps the (fully supported and tested) ubuntu installer.

Participants:
attending amscanne (Adin Scannell)
attending bladernr (Jeff Lane)
attending chaltain (Christopher Chaltain)
attending ijc (Ian Campbell)
attending jibel (Jean-Baptiste Lallement)
attending louis-bouchard (Louis Bouchard)
attending marrusl (Mark Russell)
attending mikalstill (Michael Still)
attending nijaba (Nick Barcet)
attending nobuto (Nobuto MURATA)
attending petermatulis (Peter Matulis)
attending racb (Robie Basak)
attending serge-hallyn (Serge Hallyn)
attending smoser (Scott Moser)
attending stefan-bader-canonical (Stefan Bader)
attending utlemming (Ben Howard)

Tracks:
  • Cloud & Server
B3-M4 (Audio Feed) (IRC Logs) Go to Blueprint

Participants:
attending ayrton (Ayrton Araújo)
attending javier.collado (Javier Collado)
attending joetalbott (Joe Talbott)
attending josephjamesmills (Joseph Mills)
attending nuclearbob (Max Brustkern)
attending veebers (Christopher Lee)

Tracks:
  • QA
B3-M5 (Audio Feed) (IRC Logs)
For the past few months, Canonical designers have been working on recommendations to improve the way Ubuntu uses fonts. These recommendations cover things like the default font size, a family of sizes for different purposes, use of bold and italics, hinting of the Ubuntu font, spacing in controls, line length and layout of common window types, and changes to default components in Ubuntu. Implementing these recommendations would involve code in many components, including GTK, the default themes, Unity, the file manager, and other default applications. We will also provide guidelines for application developers on how to use fonts to fit in with Ubuntu typographically. At UDS we would like to present a draft of these recommendations and guidelines, and invite feedback both from Ubuntu developers and application developers.

Participants:
attending attente (William Hua)
attending dante (Dante Díaz)
attending davidc3 (David Callé)
attending elle.uca (Luca Ferretti)
attending evfool (Robert Roth)
attending jbicha (Jeremy Bicha)
attending joey-elijah (Joey-Elijah Sneddon)
attending jpakkane (Jussi Pakkanen)
attending kaja (Kaja Podlaska Christiansen)
attending kiwinote (Kiwinote)
attending kokoto-java (George Karavasilev)
attending markjtully (Mark Tully)
attending mpt (Matthew Paul Thomas)
attending primes2h (Sergio Zanchetta)
attending rafalcieslak256 (Rafal Cieślak)
attending shroudedcloud (Jonathan Meek)
attending xranby (Xerxes Rånby)

Tracks:
  • Design
B3-M6 (Audio Feed) (IRC Logs) Go to Blueprint
Pedro Perez Grande is writing his masters dissertation on Canonical community and developers culture. He will present some of his findings and research hypothesis.

Participants:
attending ajenbo (AJenbo)
attending bdrung (Benjamin Drung)
attending benjaoming (Benjamin Bach)
attending christopherarges (Chris J Arges)
attending dante (Dante Díaz)
attending david-partain (David Partain)
attending dholbach (Daniel Holbach)
attending doctormo (Martin Owens)
attending fenris (Khairul Aizat Kamarudzzaman)
attending hzliu123 (Hao-Ran Liu)
attending itnet7 (Chris Crisafulli)
attending jose (José Antonio Rey Cama)
attending kaijanmaki (Antti Kaijanmäki)
attending knome (Pasi Lallinaho)
attending nick-dedekind (Nick Dedekind)
attending rafalcieslak256 (Rafal Cieślak)
attending randall (Randall Ross (rrnwexec))
attending sergiomeneses (Sergio Meneses)
attending sil (Stuart Langridge)
attending soeren-b-c (Søren Bredlund Caspersen)
attending steveriley (Steve Riley)
attending susebeek (Marten Susebeek)
attending thorsten-rhau (Thorsten Rhau)
attending tmt (Jussi Kekkonen)
attending zequence (Kaj Ailomaa)
attending zilvador (Daniel Ejsing-Duun)

Tracks:
  • Community
B3-M7 (Audio Feed) (IRC Logs)
Not Attending Juju GUI ( Cloud & Server )
Discussion of the juju gui. Solicitation of feedback of current implementation and brainstorm discussion on new features and integrations for raring.

Participants:
attending ahasenack (Andreas Hasenack)
attending allenap (Gavin Panella)
attending bac (Brad Crittenden)
attending benji (Benji York)
attending chihchun (Rex Tsai)
attending deryck (Deryck Hodge)
attending drussell (Dave Russell)
attending frankban (Francesco Banconi)
attending gary (Gary Poster)
attending hardik-dalwadi (Hardik Dalwadi)
attending hazmat (Kapil Thangavelu)
attending jameinel (John A Meinel)
attending jimbaker (Jim Baker)
attending jjo (JuanJo Ciarlante)
attending makyo (Matthew Scott)
attending marcoceppi (Marco Ceppi)
attending marrusl (Mark Russell)
attending mikalstill (Michael Still)
attending milner (Mike Milner)
attending narindergupta (Narinder Gupta)
attending negronjl (Juan L. Negron)
attending nobuto (Nobuto MURATA)
attending pertinent (Kevin Metz)
attending ttx (Thierry Carrez)

Tracks:
  • Cloud & Server
B3-M8 (Audio Feed) (IRC Logs) Go to Blueprint
Gridcentric Virtual Memory Streaming (VMS) is a technology to start VMs from already-running snapshots (saving time, I/O and allowing a greater density of VMs). This is principally used in OpenStack deployments. We maintain a small collection of patches for various versions of qemu that enables VMS with KVM (some are already upstream). We would like to include these patches in Ubuntu qemu. This would allow users of our technology to use standard Ubuntu packages (benefiting from security updates, etc.) and make Ubuntu a very easy platform to deploy our technology.

Participants:
attending amscanne (Adin Scannell)
attending craig.magina (Craig Magina)
attending nijaba (Nick Barcet)
attending serge-hallyn (Serge Hallyn)
B4-M5 (Audio Feed) (IRC Logs) Go to Blueprint

Participants:
attending ballock (Bolesław Tokarski)
attending czajkowski (Laura Czajkowski)
attending david-partain (David Partain)
attending drussell (Dave Russell)
attending it-oas (Michael Zaugg)
attending jan-catalin (Jan Catalin)
attending kaja (Kaja Podlaska Christiansen)
attending kjetil-fleten (Kjetil Fleten)
attending lborda (Leonardo Borda)
attending nobuto (Nobuto MURATA)
attending ove-risberg (Ove Risberg)
attending pancro (Ezio de Mauro)
attending pcarrier (Pierre Carrier)
attending te-vincent (Vincent van der ploeg)
attending thomas-ruecker (Thomas B. Rücker)
attending thorsten-rhau (Thorsten Rhau)
attending thusbands (Terry Husbands)
attending tmt (Jussi Kekkonen)

Tracks:
  • Other
B4-M6 (Audio Feed) (IRC Logs)
OAuth is such a simple protocol (v1 at least) and there are many packages available in the wider Python community and in Debian/Ubuntu. Sadly, there seems to be few options for Python 3 compatible, *upstream maintained* OAuth libraries. How can we encourage, fork, group-maintain, or otherwise improve the story for a Python 3 compatible OAuth library in Ubuntu?

Participants:
(required) barry (Barry Warsaw)
attending christoffer-holmstedt (Christoffer Holmstedt)
(required) doko (Matthias Klose)
attending kate.stewart (Kate Stewart)
attending nobuto (Nobuto MURATA)
attending ricardokirkner (Ricardo Kirkner)
attending stefanor (Stefano Rivera)
attending tiagohillebrandt (Tiago Hillebrandt)
(required) xnox (Dimitri John Ledkov)

Tracks:
  • Foundations
B4-M7 (Audio Feed) (IRC Logs) Go to Blueprint
17:05 - 18:00 CET

Participants:
attending ayrton (Ayrton Araújo)
attending javier.collado (Javier Collado)
attending joetalbott (Joe Talbott)
attending josephjamesmills (Joseph Mills)
attending nuclearbob (Max Brustkern)
attending veebers (Christopher Lee)

Tracks:
  • QA
B3-M5 (Audio Feed) (IRC Logs)
Discuss the features to be implemented during the R-cycle

Participants:
attending mhall119 (Michael Hall)
attending rafalcieslak256 (Rafal Cieślak)
attending randall (Randall Ross (rrnwexec))
attending soeren-b-c (Søren Bredlund Caspersen)

Tracks:
  • Community
B3-M1 (Audio Feed) (IRC Logs) Go to Blueprint
MidoNet is an advanced Software Defined Networking (SDN) solution, which provides network virtualization for public and private cloud environments. Adding MidoNet dependencies is the first step towards including MidoNet into ubuntu repositories for Ubuntu (possibly partner).

Participants:
attending andreserl (Andres Rodriguez)
attending davewalker (Dave Walker)
attending ghe.rivero (Ghe Rivero)
attending hatocorp (Jacob Okoniewski)
attending james-page (James james.page@canonical.com)
attending med (David Medberry)
attending nijaba (Nick Barcet)
attending nobuto (Nobuto MURATA)
attending rossella-o (Rossella Sblendido)
attending sam-juvonen (Sam Juvonen)

Tracks:
  • Cloud & Server
B3-M10 (Audio Feed) (IRC Logs) Go to Blueprint
Create a new section on the App Developer site for authors to easily submit and share their code snippets

Participants:
attending bernd-sch (Bernd Schlapsi)
attending dpm (David Planella)
attending josephjamesmills (Joseph Mills)
attending mpt (Matthew Paul Thomas)
attending stefan-schwarzburg (Schwarzburg)

Tracks:
  • App Development
B3-M3 (Audio Feed) (IRC Logs) Go to Blueprint
Checkbox is a tool that is used by a number of parties in their day to day work, and so they depend upon it to be somewhat reliable and not break often. For this to be the case, Checkbox requires a release processs (to indicate when and how it is being released) and a test plan which indicates which functionality is going to be tested to try and ensure that it's working. At the moment it has neither. == Release Cadence == One of the most important aspects of a release process is to have a regular, predictable schedule. This allows users of the software to plan for forthcoming changes and for arrangements to be made to have resources available for proper testing. Also, for testing to be effective there must be a period of stabalisation where critical bugs which were found during testing can be fixed. The following is the proposal for the initial cadence of two weeks: Days 1-8: All merges may be accepted into trunk, no restrictions Days 9-12: Only bug fixes may be accepted into trunk and manual testing begins at this point Days 13-14: Only fixes for critical bugs identified by testing may be accepted into trunk. Manual testing is rerun to confirm bug fixes are effective and that no further regressions occur. In addition on day 13, there will be a release meeting involving the release co-ordinator and a representative from each stakeholder to go over the major issues found so that everyone can be aware of them. Checkbox will be released on the 14th day of the cadence. In order for work to continue on developing new features and fixing bugs during this freeze period, a scheme will be worked out to branch the code from which we will release Checkbox at a particular point. This will prevent potentially important work from being delayed while maintaining stability. Going forward into the next cycle, the plan is to shorten the cadence down to as little as one week. This can only be achieved by increasing automated testing and making sure that there is good confidence in the effectiveness of that testing. In this way 'freeze' periods (which slow development) can be kept to a minimum and improvements brought to the users faster. The ultimate goal would be for everyone involved to have strong enough confidence in the automated testing that they are willing to accept this as assurance that a version of Checkbox is sound enough to use. == Routine Automated Regression Testing == In order to provide a solid foundation on which to perform more thorough testing prior to release, it is important to have a strong automated test suite in place that can make sure the fundamental functions and features of Checkbox are working properly. Since Checkbox is a fairly complex piece of software and also heavily geared around user interaction in most cases (although it does support running 'headless') it will take some effort to fully automate everything. More to the point, in terms of time resources 'routine automated regression testing' must be kept distinct from automated testing in general. These tests are intended to run pre-merge, on every merge. There must therefore be a limit on the amount of time they take to run. More than a few minutes and it may be necessary to start splitting the tests out. At the moment Checkbox does have something in the way of a test suite that fits this description, but it is still in its infancy and requires more effort. At the moment the strategy for expanding it is to add tests on a case-by-case basis whenever there is a 'test escape' which looks easily automatable. This is a decent strategy, but going forward some measure of coverage and a more structured approach would be desirable. Checkbox being a (mainly) Python based application, there are several tools which will aid in measuring coverage (http://pypi.python.org/pypi/coverage/) == Pre-release Manual Testing/Extensive Automated Testing == The final line of defence before release needs to be thorough and cover as many of the most important use-cases as possible.Since Checkbox is based to a large extend around manual testing and is primarily used through its graphical user interface, most of the more extensive testing will have to be geared around real or mock 'manual' testing - i.e. manipulation of the graphical user interface. The most important thing to get right here is to properly prioritise the tests that will be run so that the test cases which, if they were to fail it would be considered critical, are introduced and run first. A list of potential use-cases can be seen here: https://docs.google.com/a/canonical.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AhbvF3mVZ2BadG9GRXcwdmdZVTFiOW9JT21wbEY1S1E Initially this testing will have to be manual, but there are tools available which allow for automation of UI interaction (http://xpresser.com/). Still this type of testing would need to be kept distinct from automated regression testing, as it would potentially still take a long time to run. A further point to be considered is; where to keep the test case definitions? Even if the test cases are automated with a tool such as Xpresser, it is important to store some kind of formal definition for maintenance purposes so that if an automated test breaks then its intent can be kept. Some liason should be made with the Platform QA team to see what they recommend, but it would be possible to fall back on a simple spreadsheet. During this cycle the goal will be to implement all of the use cases mentioned in the spreadsheet above (except where a use case is dropped by consensus), initially as manual test cases and at least half of the test cases should be automated. == Versioning/Branch management == Not directly related to quality, but still and important aspect of releasing software, is versioning.

Participants:
attending apulido (Ara Pulido)
attending bladernr (Jeff Lane)
attending brendan-donegan (Brendan Donegan)
attending david-duffey (David Duffey)
attending elsawang (Elsa Wang)
attending ethan.chang (Ethan Chang)
attending hardik-dalwadi (Hardik Dalwadi)
attending lexical (Keng-Yü Lin)
attending narindergupta (Narinder Gupta)
attending roadmr (Daniel Manrique)
attending smagoun (Steve Magoun)
attending sylvain-pineau (Sylvain Pineau)

Tracks:
  • Hardware
B3-M4 (Audio Feed) (IRC Logs) Go to Blueprint
This workshop should give you a quick introduction to Ubuntu development. You don't need any prior experience, just a working Ubuntu installation.

Participants:
attending allanlesage (Allan LeSage)
attending amscanne (Adin Scannell)
attending a.rosales (Antonio Rosales)
attending attente (William Hua)
attending ayrton (Ayrton Araújo)
attending bdrung (Benjamin Drung)
attending benjaoming (Benjamin Bach)
attending bhavi (Bhavani Shankar)
attending brunogirin (Bruno Girin)
attending carla-sella (Carla Sella)
attending chilicuil (Javier chilicuil)
attending chris-top (Chris Topaloudis)
attending christophe.sauthier (Christophe Sauthier)
attending cjohnston (Chris Johnston)
attending dholbach (Daniel Holbach)
attending einonm (Mark Einon)
attending fenris (Khairul Aizat Kamarudzzaman)
attending gary (Gary Poster)
attending itnet7 (Chris Crisafulli)
attending it-oas (Michael Zaugg)
attending josephjamesmills (Joseph Mills)
attending kate.stewart (Kate Stewart)
attending kjetil-fleten (Kjetil Fleten)
attending koolhead17 (koolhead17)
attending mariusko (Marius B. Kotsbak)
attending nullable (Teo Klestrup Röijezon)
attending primes2h (Sergio Zanchetta)
attending quintasan (Michał Zając)
attending rocketcoder (Evan Uebel)
attending sergiomeneses (Sergio Meneses)
attending soren-bronsted (Søren Brønsted)
attending stefanor (Stefano Rivera)
attending susebeek (Marten Susebeek)
attending tgm4883 (Thomas Mashos)
attending tiagohillebrandt (Tiago Hillebrandt)
attending zequence (Kaj Ailomaa)
attending zilvador (Daniel Ejsing-Duun)

Tracks:
  • Community
B3-M6 (Audio Feed) (IRC Logs)
Not Attending Namespace for binfmt? ( Cloud & Server )
binfmt_misc (miscelaneous binary formats) is a kernel module which supports the specification of userspace interpreters for binaries executed by userspace. By specifying an invalid binfmt for ELF, it is possible for a confused chroot or package to destroy the ability of the host to execute any binaries. By introducing a namespace for binfmts, a chroot could be preventd from changing the binary formats usable on the host.

Participants:
attending cjwatson (Colin Watson)
attending serge-hallyn (Serge Hallyn)
attending smoser (Scott Moser)
attending stefan-bader-canonical (Stefan Bader)
attending xnox (Dimitri John Ledkov)

Tracks:
  • Cloud & Server
B3-M7 (Audio Feed) (IRC Logs) Go to Blueprint
The x32 ABI (http://sites.google.com/site/x32abi/) provides a compromise between IA32 and x86-64: it has a 32-bit pointer size, which is more memory-efficient and may often be faster, but has 64-bit registers and a larger register file. Support for it is gradually trickling into various relevant upstreams (kernel, glibc, gcc, etc.). Although the pieces are unlikely to be in place in time for 12.10, we should think ahead for how we might deploy this in Ubuntu.

Participants:
(required) adconrad (Adam Conrad)
(required) apw (Andy Whitcroft)
attending chihchun (Rex Tsai)
(required) cjwatson (Colin Watson)
(required) colin-king (Colin Ian King)
attending craig.magina (Craig Magina)
(required) doko (Matthias Klose)
attending jamesodhunt (James Hunt)
attending kate.stewart (Kate Stewart)
attending kees (Kees Cook)
attending mahmoh (M.Morana)
attending sforshee (Seth Forshee)
attending stefanor (Stefano Rivera)
(required) steve-mcintyre (Steve McIntyre)
attending themuso (Luke Yelavich)
attending wgrant (William Grant)
attending wookey (Wookey)
attending xnox (Dimitri John Ledkov)

Tracks:
  • Foundations
B3-M8 (Audio Feed) (IRC Logs) Go to Blueprint
A workshop to orient developers on contributing to upstart, covering the basics of the libnih and upstart design

Participants:
attending adam-stokes (Adam Stokes)
(required) clint-fewbar (Clint Byrum)
(required) jamesodhunt (James Hunt)
attending narindergupta (Narinder Gupta)
attending ove-risberg (Ove Risberg)
attending sbeattie (Steve Beattie)
attending sergiusens (Sergio Schvezov)
attending soren-bronsted (Søren Brønsted)
attending stgraber (Stéphane Graber)
(required) ted (Ted Gould)
attending till-kamppeter (Till Kamppeter)
(required) vorlon (Steve Langasek)

Tracks:
  • Foundations
B4-M5 (Audio Feed) (IRC Logs)
We will transition from gstreamer 0.10 to 1.2 and demote 0.10 to universe if possible

Participants:
attending desrt (Ryan Lortie)
attending ken-vandine (Ken VanDine)
attending laney (Iain iain@orangesquash.org.uk)
attending marrusl (Mark Russell)
attending mathieu-tl (Mathieu Trudel-Lapierre)
attending seb128 (Sebastien Bacher)
attending shroudedcloud (Jonathan Meek)

Tracks:
  • Desktop
B4-M6 (Audio Feed) (IRC Logs) Go to Blueprint
Discussion for the upcoming development cycle.

Participants:
(required) cjohnston (Chris Johnston)
attending czajkowski (Laura Czajkowski)
attending daker (Adnane Belmadiaf)
attending jose (José Antonio Rey Cama)
attending mhall119 (Michael Hall)

Tracks:
  • Other
B4-M7 (Audio Feed) (IRC Logs)
< Wednesday >